VII. A GHOST FROM THE PAST

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑a ghost from the past !┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┙

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━
a ghost from the past !
┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━

It was summer, and in Nagoya,  summers were usually accompanied by the gentle sway of the mountain breeze. But in New Mexico, the presence of wind was replaced with a disorientating haze, and it came from the smoldering ground - forcing her to squint under the aggressive rays of sunlight.

Even the birds were silent and the grass stood still as if too hot to move, not that there was much green anyways.Her eyes had to adjust from the lush green foliage that usually surrounds her hometown to the stretch of sand and stone before her.

" Welcome to New Mexico," Coulson announced with a tight smile,he had to raise his voice to prevent it from drowning against the heavy chopping of helicopter blades.

Makoto has to steady herself against her suitcase, her legs stiff and numb from the agonizingly long plane ride. She has never been on a plane before this one, and she can't say that it was the best experience in being sandwiched between two strangers for nearly twenty hours.

Not to mention that she didn't get a wink of sleep in the car ride from the airport all the way here, how could she when two agents were constantly checking up on her through the rear view window from the front seats.

She wouldn't be surprise if she was hallucinating at the moment as she stood before the facility. It wasn't the tall building made of cement or bricks that she had expected it to be,instead it was constructed with fences that circled the perimeter , shaped like a cage as people - scientists and agents, drift through them.

Makoto felt a shiver of uneasiness slither down her spine.

Every cage holds a beast, so what exactly is it holding ?

She was an astronomer, she expected telescopes and charts. What awaits before her is hardly astronomical material, it looked like it came out from NASA, sure, but it was all heavy blocks computers that definitely didn't display any ensign-Rosen bridges, and weapons that lie strictly against the hip of ever person that had passed by her.

Swallowing her queasiness she turned to Coulson," Director Coulson.Do you mind if I head back to the hotel ? I'll start first thing in the morning."

Coulson's eyes softened in understanding," Of course. You must be tired, feel free to come before 8am tomorrow. Take your time to know the city. Do you need an escort ?"

She let out a stiff laugh," It's fine Director. I can, I can hail a taxi."

She didn't bother to look back once she started hurrying herself out of the oppressive crowd of  agents huddled by the exit. Once she was out in the open she exhaled the breath she didn't know she was holding back, truduging a few miles before reaching the main road. The traffic light above her blinked lazily under the sweltering heat, and she shrugged off her cardigan as she waved for a taxi.