VII. YOUR LIE IN APRIL

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┑your lie in april !┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━┙

┍━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━
your lie in april !
┕━━━━ ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ━━━━

There was a story his father used to tell him when he was only a child.

It was about a man who turned his back on Asgard, a traitor who ended up having his mouth clamped shut with two hundred stitches. Preventing him from ever speaking, from ever lying.

Loki never really knew if it was true, or if it was just a tactic to stop him from lying to his father.

The Allfather looked at his eyes, as they reflect the fireplace. Hardened from eons of war, and filled with the secrets Loki knew he kept buried under the palace.

" Promise me," he said, " That you won't ever lie again."

" I promise," He replied, without hesitation. The words tumbled down his lips like the raindrops sliding against the palace windows.

That itself was already a lie. It became a habit, a slip of the tongue. Lying for Loki is just as easy as breathing.

So why is it, that he finds himself unable to do both the moment his eyes locked onto hers?

" Loki," He answered breathily, and with one hand he reached out to her, "My name is Loki."

His fingers ached to place itself against the curve of her shoulders, to make sure that this was real, and not just figment of his imagination, and not just an illusion.

Not just a lie.

When he sensed the warmth of her skin under the soaked fabric of her coat he couldn't help but sigh in relief.

The light fluttering of his touch lingered against it until she flinched away from his touch as if he had burned her.

Had he?

The moment she gazed up into his eyes with tears streaming down her pale and sunken face, with her bottom lip quivering against the thunderous storm above them, the question fell from her lips in a soft and frail whisper, as if it was a secret she wasn't supposed to discuss.

" Why did you leave ?"

In one swift movement, her words knocked itself against his chest, causing him to stumble a step backward. The rumbling of thunder reverberating against the ashen sky above them.

He searched her eyes for any sign of anger, but he only saw confusion, betrayal-

Heartache.

A wail escaped her throat, and then she started to sob. Her body heaving as she clenched her fists, her arms quivering at her sides as she yelled.

" You left me with no answer," She paused, inhaling sharply, "How could you ?"

" I never wanted to leave," He defended, voice cracking under the years and years of sorrow he had kept hidden under his lies, the ones that were once buried deep inside the hilt of his heart were now swimming its way up the surface.