i need you [AU]

This is an AU but it still is in the TNS universe (does that even make sense lol). SET IN SEASON 4

(Oh and Andrea, I said that I was gonna upload a oneshot dedicated to you but it's too cringey at the moment so maybe in the future 😂😅)

Riley•

Alfie flashed me a smile and got up from the couch after we had a short talk.

I looked at my iPad on the table. It's been so long since James left for England and I miss him... I miss him everyday.

I don't know what I'm feeling, I don't know what to do anymore. I tried talking to Michelle about this but I never got around to it because we made a promise not to talk about boys.

I love James... but if I love him, why do I feel something towards Alfie?

Being studio head is destroying everything I've built up to this point. I hardly sleep, I spent my time being so stressed out, I can't do this anymore. James believed in me that I could but I just can't.

I let him down and I can't make him come back because I'll be such a selfish person. I can't just make him leave his competition.

The iPad rings suddenly and see that James is face timing me. I open it and force a smile onto my face.

James's face pops up and he grins at me, "Hey babe,"

"Hey... James, how's the competition?" I ask

He glances around, "It's going great actually, we're making our way to the finals and the boys are killing it out there. How are you going with the studio?"

I look down at my hands, playing with my nails, "Um... yeah, it's good,"

"Riley, are you okay? Is everything fine?" I hear his voice soften to ask in concern.

I don't reply, I can't tell him but I also can't lie to him, "James..." I start but I can't finish off my sentence.

I glance up to see him worried through the screen and James walks up to his hotel room, closing the door behind him. It's more quiet now, it's just me and him.

"Riley please talk to me," He whispers softly

I know that if he was here now he would have hugged me tightly for as long as I needed but he's not here. James is so far away.

"I just- you feel so far away,"

"I know but to me I think that stuff like, time, distance. It doesn't really apply to us," He answers

I nod distractedly, I wish I could feel the same way but to be honest... I've never felt so alone. I'm so lost here without him.

"Riley please, tell me what's wrong? Has someone hurt you? Has the stress been too much?" His voice is frantic and desperate.

That's when I realise that I'm crying.

"Riley, I'm here for you, don't cry. Please just tell me what's going on," James looks helpless and I know the feeling very well, of having your love one on the other side of the world and not being able to help or be there with them.