[Chapter Forty]

Alyndra wasn't sure where she was. The surroundings seemed familiar, but something didn't seem quite right. She wandered down the hall a little further, her hand tracing along the carved wood beams and saw that it was sunny outside the window. Suddenly a young child with long dark hair came running out of a room, right passed her and she realized it was her as a child. Alyndra followed her younger self and opened the door the little girl had disappeared through and walked into the sunlight. The grass was green and she could feel the heat from the sun that shined above and she did a scan of the area and realized where she finally was. This was her old home, where she used to live before her mother was taken from her. The skin-changer looked at the familiar forest of Mirkwood, she could hear the sounds of the birds singing.

"Alyndra." A woman's voice called out. Alyndra turned around to see an older woman coming out of the house and she felt a tear come down her face, it was her mother.

"Mama!" the little girl shouted as she ran over into her mothers arms. "Mama, do you and papa have to go today?" the child asked sadly twirling her fingers into the woman's hair.

"It's only for a few days, sweetie. Auntie Celestia will be here shortly and you two will be going to her home." Klarendra stated. The younger Alyndra stuck out her lip and looked at the ground.

"It's not fair. " she grumbled.

"Do not be sad my little bird. We will be back sooner then you think." Beorn said as he came over to his wife's side and ruffled his daughters hair. Alyndra hadn't been called that by her father since her mother's death and she couldn't help but give a smile but it never reached her eyes.

"My sister should have been here by now." Klarendra whispered to Beorn.

"Do not fret my love, she will be here soon." Beorn assured her, stroking the older woman's face, before kissing her lips.

"Ewww" the younger Alyndra groaned, causing her parents to pull apart and look at her laughing

"What? Is papa not aloud to kiss mama?" Beorn teased, kissing his daughters cheek.

"Papa stop." She giggled as she tried to push him away. Alyndra did another scan of the area, it appeared to be the late afternoon and her aunt still hadn't arrived. The young child was now in the tall grass, playing with their pet rabbits. Beorn and Klarendra stood at the back door watching their pride and joy.

"Beorn.....it's been hours. This not like my sister at all to be this long. I feel something has happened to her and I'm worried." The woman stated worriedly.

"I will go. Please stay safe my love." Beorn urged.

"Of course. This is the safest part of the forest." Klarendra informed. " Please just make sure nothing bad has happen to my sister and that she just forgot." Beorn nodded and kissed her forehead before leaving.

"Papa where are you going?" The child shouted as she ran over to him.

"Papa, is going to go check on auntie and make sure she's alright." Beorn informed as he crouched down to her level.

"I wanna come with you papa." she insisted but the tall man shook his head.

"No, my little bird it's too dangerous out there. You must stay here with your mother. I'll be back. When you get older I promise to take you on an adventure." The little girl hugged her father and Beorn transformed into a bear and charged across the distances until he was out of sight.

"Papa is gonna come back right?" the child asked her mother.

"I hope so." Klarendra whispered. " Why don't you go play and ill make us something to eat." The child did as she was asked and was once again in the tall grass. Alyndra followed the older woman into the home and saw her begin to prepare lunch.