Chapter 20, Part C: Loose Ends (cont.)

He did not feel overjoyed, but mortified at what he had done. 

But his sense of politeness and his feelings of respect for Mrs. Winchester would not allow Edmund to quit the house at that very moment.  Habit brought his feet towards to the kitchen door but could not help him pass through it.  Instead, he stood outside for a few moments  until some of his senses had returned to him.  

His voice strained slightly as he announced his intentions. “Mrs. Winchester, I shall take my leave.”

The lady stopped stirring the kettle and turned about to peer at him over the top of her glasses.  The expression on his face  spoke for his mood.  “I see. Did she say no?”

He exhaled slightly at her bluntness and pressed his hand against the wall for support.  “I  made a mess of it, I think.  I might have frightened her into silence. Actually--” he confessed. “I am not sure.”

The old woman went back to stirring the kettle’s contents.  Youth had its advantages, but it also had its follies.  She smiled to herself as she inhaled the smell of fragrant herbs that wafted up from a stew assembled from a haphazard collection of foodstuff.   “A mess can be cleaned up, dear boy.  The mistake would be to leave it there.”

Edmund took a deep breath, understanding the meaning of her words.   Slowly he retraced his steps, drawing up just shy of the open door to the parlor.  He paused to look at his coat, hanging on a peg on the well.  Had he wished to, he could perhaps maintain his dignity a bit longer by  grabbing his things and walking out the door.   Instead he continued past them, reminding himself he had been raised to not run away.

Elanore was fussing with her blanket when he crossed the parlor’s threshold. At the sound of his steps on the floor, her head swiveled in his direction. She dropped the blankets from her hands in order to bring her hands to her face. “I seem to be tangled,” she blurted out.

Edmund averted his gaze and knelt down to address the twisted wrappings about her, not daring to ask how this had happened.  He was relieved that she did not shrink back from him or resist him as his fingers occasionally brushed against her leg.   “There,” he said as he finished freeing and then setting aside one mischievous cushion and several blankets that had apparently decided to interfere with Elanore’s wrap.

Before he could rise from the floor, her fingers came to rest on the crown of his head.   “You surprised me you know.”  She stopped and flushed as he looked back at her openly.   Her  fingers once again fiddled with the blankets and twisted them about.  “I’ve no experience in these types of things.   I didn’t know what to say to you and then you ran out before I could explain.”

His stomach clenched when he realized that he had stolen her first kiss. If he had found another man in this same situation, he would have punched them out for such a thing.  “I was too forward--”

Elanore’s fingers reached out delicately to silence him.  “It’s alright. You’ve had much on your mind.”   She pursed her lips, trying hard to look severe.  “You must take care of yourself, though. Don’t forget that  I’ll be waiting until the spring to give you an answer.” 

If she had been trying to sound stern, she failed miserably.   Her voice was sweet and light when it could have been indignant and proud.  

Edmund ran his hand through his hair at her apparent forgiveness all the while trying to discern exactly what she was saying.  He realized that she had not provided him with a yes or no to his proposal, but with a request that he come back and try again.    Solemnly, he responded. “Then I won’t be reckless.”