Chapter 24, Part A: These Secrets of Mine and Yours

Darkness did not deter the people of Crossroads from moving about this winter morning.  The roads swelled with people as the shopkeepers opened for business.

Prosperity had skipped the other towns in this region, save this one. The advancing winter had brought many folks from outlying areas into the confines of the city to enjoy its entertainments and claims of middle class luxuries.  They came here to avoid passing a dull winter, all while boxed inside a fine wall that protected the town from the elements.

The church that Friar Lorrence served summoned him and his assistant to minister to both temporary and permanent residents. They did so, understanding the value of this town to their order.  This town would someday be the gateway to the northern and western parts of the peninsula.  

Novice Wyte wandered the cobbled streets in the twilight with a dull expression on his face. To him this was no tourist mecca but merely a place with people to aide and observe.  His duties were many. Carefully he attended to them over and over, calling upon the old and comforting the sick.  In between these visits his eyes looked at the unfamiliar faces among the crowd -- the outsiders who betrayed themselves with their clipped accents and refined clothes.     

Among these faces was a familiar one from one of the villages north of this town. He debated whether to follow that man, for it was none of his business what the person might be doing here alone.   Just as he thought to turn down the street, the man swerved around to meet him.  

Novice Wyte almost bumped into the man, but caught himself before he tripped.   

“I recognize you,” the hunter stared.

The name of this man came back to the novice. Wyte stammered, “You’re Rolf. You’re from the Winchester Hunter’s Guild, aren’t you?”  His eyes drifted about meaningfully as he looked about for the man’s usual companions.

The younger man’s chin jutted out defiantly.  “I suppose I am. You seem to know us better than we thought. And I’m alone cause I’m supposed to meet several mates down here for an errand. Wondering if you’ve seen them.”

Wyte meekly shook his head.   “I haven’t seen any familiar faces.”

The hunter shrugged.  “They were supposed to head down here from a hunt but none have showed. Smith and Jones were their names.  Seen them up in Winchester?”  

“No, I haven’t.  The father and I have been a while. We haven’t had a chance to go back up north.”  Wyte suddenly began to suspect that this Rolf might be lying about his true purpose. The guildmaster usually made this place off-limits to the younger men.  However, the clergyman kept his expression friendly and vacant. “If I see them, where should I tell them to find you?”

The man grinned and leered.  “The Pumpkin Patch.   I suppose you know where it is, cleric?”

Wyte smiled like a fool, choosing not to respond to the insolent question. The place was a well known house of ill-repute, part pub, part whorehouse located in a generally seedy area.   While it was impossible not to know where it was, he would not admit anything that could allow the man to mock him or the church further.  Father Lorrence might show even this sort of depraved person some compassion, but he did not.  Gravely he answered, “I shall tell them that is where you are.”  

Rolf laughed meanly.  “You do that, clergyman.”  Suddenly he leaned in and grabbed Wyte’s arm.  The passersby stared at them both, eager to see if there might be a brawl to catch. “And I better not find you following me about while I’m here. I like my life the way it is. Don’t need anyone telling me what to do.”

After  the man stomped off to a nearby pub, Wyte looked about and waved off the onlookers.   He smiled as best as he could, as if to suggest that the interaction had been completely normal.  The novice guessed the comment had nothing to do with him, but could not guess what had upset the hunter so.  He would have to consult the good friar later after he assisted the church staff in distributing alms.