Chapter 26, Part C: All Things Must Circle 'Round

The Count was rarely ever questioned or spoken to in such a manner by his servant.  As such, he found himself startled by his manservant’s response.  Once his surprise passed, his look grew stern.

Hastings quickly realized the precariousness of his position. He apologized profusely as he tried to amend his words.  “I’m sorry, sir.  I just meant that it would be easy to find out. Did you not say you would welcome her here if she ever returned?”

The butler was correct.  Maximilian had said something like that but at the time  the idea of the woman returning was a distant possibility.  Now he struggled with himself as he held this book that her fingers had touched and upon which her smell lingered.  

The magic today had done something to him, disturbed those neglected corners of his inner psyche.  Memories locked away were leaking from their safe places and along with them unmasterable, undesirable feelings began to stir.

He should not have spoken too carelessly. She was not some mere prodigal clan member, for he had taught her himself of the secrets of his home while she lived with him. She had become more than the rest of them.  And so he answered the same question again, this time in clipped, annoyed tones.  “It may be true that as a Wolfram she has every right to seek shelter here during the eclipse, but I do not know what kind of welcome she’d receive.”

The hunter observed the rash of color on the Count’s face.  He frowned, not aware of the danger it represented.   “Would your men punish her for abandoning this place?”  

“It would not be unexpected for them to want to run her off,” Maximilian said through gritted teeth.  He could feel his heart pumping blood through him, feeding a warm pool of suppressed outrage somewhere deep within him.   “It would not be unexpected for me to run her off either.”  

He cast aside the book, much to the surprise of his companions. Hastings put down his tray to pick up the discarded item and mournfully dust it off.

The hunter pounced. “So you would raise your hand against her?”

Ormond’s eyes burned with an intensity that the Count might have heeded had he not become so angry himself. “IF it is her, I would not punish her for the fight that she brought to me years ago.  A wife to one of us must be as strong as her mate. It is the only way she could survive against the constant strive for dominance within this clan. That was not the problem. When she left, however, she broke her word to me and our bond. I’m bound by our law to discipline her, and the nature of that discipline is guided by older, more primitive instincts.  I might be lying if I promised that the punishment  wouldn’t be severe.”  

“Are you saying you’re all no better than animals?”  The fair-haired man responded to Wolfram’s harsh words, clenching his own fist at his side. “You have no control? No compassion?”

“Do you claim that for yourself then?” Wolfram mocked.  “Are humans all that much superior with their pillaging and plundering? With their rape and their murders?”

“Master!” Hastings sternly interrupted them both.  “You are not a cruel being.  She came here with nothing and you treated her kindly.  You showed mercy to Giles when he rebelled!  You know you are strong enough to defy whatever instincts you might feel.  The rest would follow you as well!”  

The Count turned away at his butler’s interruption, hiding his sudden unease at the statement.  His man believed him to be much better than he was.  And yet, he had exploded quickly at the first sign of his ordered world falling apart. They did not understand how he was foundering around like a young baby, responding too quickly to any provocation.