Chapter 24, Parts B&C: These Secrets of Yours and Mine

As the sun rose on the town of Winchester, the only activity to be found was at the Guild Hall.  Wilhelm Cadeyrn, leader of the guild, had appeared at the guarded entryway to the compound with orders to the sentries to not let anyone out without his direct permission.  

His expression was terrifying as he scoured the grounds, barking at the men to gather in front of the hall.  He counted them one by one as they came to stand before him, his frown deepening as he noticed who was missing.

Most of the guild expected the master to address the appearance of the magic beast the prior day. To their surprise, the man began with other news.  

“This morning a messenger brought a letter with a terse complaint that my men had not shown in Crossroads for a hunt.   You can imagine my surprise at receiving such a note.”   His eyes studied each of the men, looking for a reaction.  “We have no commissions at the moment.”

Wilhelm suddenly turned towards one of the younger members in the crowd.  “Clive - you came back from the outpost late yesterday. Half of your party is missing this morning. Smith. Rolf. Benwick. Martin. Cody. Jamison.  Were they not with you?”

The lad called Clive shifted uneasily on his feet as several dozen men gazed suspiciously at him.  Clive looked at one of his companions and swallowed once before he responded.   “They said they wanted to take their shares to Crossroads so we parted ways in the morning. Thought it was odd, but they said they had permission to do so.”

The guild leader looked at the man next to him, a youth by name of Thomas.   “Is this true?”

“Yes, I swear by it,” Thomas nodded.

“You know me better than that,” the guildmaster scolded them harshly.  “ Why would  I splinter a group without all of your knowledge, leaving you at half strength coming back?”

The young men hung their heads, unable to respond.  

The mood of the crowd darkened.  While the guild men were often given some autonomy to their own affairs, while on a hunt the men were not supposed to deviate from agreed upon protocols and practices.   Worse yet, the missing men appeared to be engaging in business outside the guild.  

“Gerald,” the guild leader turned to his side, seeking out a man who he had known since his early days in the guild. “Take one of your party and find this gentleman.  Apprise him of the dangerous conditions out there and dissuade him against commissioning any hunters to undertake such a foolish thing.  And then see if you can turn up our troublemakers.  If you find them, deal with them.”

The men of the guild shifted uncomfortably in their spots.   Either the lads would return to face discipline or be removed from the guild with a warning not to use the name to promote themselves. They watched the departing men with grim expressions.

Their leader’s voice was harsh and loud as he turned his attention back to his men.  “We are now short an additional two men when there is so much to do.”  

The crowd pressed around him, anxious to hear their orders.

Wilhelm looked about him and was relieved to still see so many reliable faces. “You all know that we have gone beyond rumors of strange beasts to having one actually appear before us.  While it’s daylight, we must hunt close to home and see what more creatures have made their presence known.”  

“Seems the girl is the source of the trouble,” some of the men vocalized.   

“She is not our concern,” the guildmaster glared, making his displeasure at the interruption known.  “We should patrol the woods in groups of six while it’s light.  However, I want four of you canvassing the houses and evaluating how well they’re protected against bands of wild animals.  Tell folk that we will offer shelter here if they wish it.  But you,” he looked at Clive.  “I want you and Thomas to find the blacksmith and weapons master at the pub. Tell them we open early this winter. Sober them up if needed.”

The guildmaster’s brow creased deeply as he looked about for one other person.  “Now where is Gregory?”

“The old man set out a while ago,” Clive stammered at him. “He’s off to run an errand at town.  He’s been seen at the Winchester home quite a bit.”

At the mention of the Winchesters, Wilhelm looked around and realized Edmund wasn’t there either.  “I’ll be back after I find him then. I’m off to the Mayor’s house.  Go fetch that blacksmith already!”