2: Beautiful eyes filled with life

Rei was alone at the Academy's gate until the Vice Principal came to fetch her. And as she was walked through the paved path, she saw several types of flowers with vibrant colour that could only be likened to life.

She never thought she would ever be able to leave the small world of her cellar, and upon which, the outside world was just as she imagined it to be.

There was never a dull moment as she was being led to her new home. The gentle breeze made her relieved, while the rustle of the trees increased her heartbeat. The sounds of the people made her feel bound on earth as her eyes wondered from heaven and below.

The Vice Principal, who introduced herself as Brine, opened a gate into a huge residential lot. There she found a building made of red bricks, and green vines could been seen dominating the external walls. But Rei found it fascinating. She also noticed the plants and vegetables being grown in the courtyard. She wondered what each of them were called.

After Brine briefly explained Rei's situation to a stranger, she left right away. She wasn't too keen on holding people back, so her gaze eventually landed on the boy who was 2 feet higher than her.

He was so beautiful for words, but nothing on Rei's face showed her awe. He had beautiful blue eyes that reminded her of a wide cloudless sky, vibrant and glossy with a hint of inquisitivity. His smile held for as long as the two of them stared at one another, clearly assessing each other without discomfort.

"Hello, Rei! I'm Hein Blues Kingsley! Nice to meet you." He introduced while reaching out his hand to Rei.

Clueless to Hein's actions, she simply stared at his hand with a placid face. Her cobalt eyes observing his hand pointedly, thinking if he wanted her to give him something. But she had nothing on her.

After a moment, Hein finally understood that Rei had no idea what his intention was. Thus, with a swift move, he grabbed one of her free hands and shook it himself. "This is a handshake. You do it when you introduce yourself formally to someone, Rei." He gently said with his usual smile.

In understanding, Rei nodded her head and wondered why they had to shake hands at all to introduce themselves. But she could not be bothered to ask.

Silence was once again their friend. Feeling awkward with simply standing, Hein scratched his bluish unkempt hair. "I'll lead you to your room for now." He said, grabbing Rei's hand to lead the way.

Although she was shaken by the sudden touch, she did not complain nor did she think of anything otherwise. She was used to being touched by strangers in her previous living quarters, which was a cell.

Whenever they touched her, she would always feel pain caused by their many experiments. But it was a memory Rei wished to forget. Secretly, underneath her expressionless face, her eyes revealed a brimming positivity towards a better future.