4: He wants to open her heart

The next morning, Rei woke up with a headache.

Knock Knock, were the sounds she heard on her door. Without her reply, the person at the other side decided to leave.

She then looked outside her window.

The sun was glaringly bright, and she could feel the pleasant warmth it brought to her skin. 

She remained blank, and she could barely register everything she was seeing since the day before. However, she also understood that she has been given another chance at life no matter how limited it may seem.

"If this is what it means to be alive...." she softly whispered to herself, simply taking everything in calmly.

Unbeknownst to her, an hour has passed since the last knock. Thus, another series of knocking were inflicted on her poor bedroom door. It sounded louder this time. 

With trembling legs, Rei tried to lift herself up and silently walked towards the door. When she was about to turn the knob, the other person was gone again. She could hear the footsteps growing fainter and fainter to the distance of the corridor, leading downstairs.

Left with no choice but to come down by herself, she wore her indoor sleepers and quietly went down through the wooden staircase. As soon as she reached the first floor where the entrance hall is, she felt herself being exposed. It was akin to being stared at by several pair of eyes.

She silently and slowly looked at the ceiling and around the corners where the concentration of the glares appear to be felt the most. Her musing was disrupted by a familiar voice.

"'Morning." A deep voice behind her softly said.

"....-rning..." 

He was passing by her, but due to her response, he turned around and gazed at her with a certain degree of intensity. "Weirdo." Was all he said before he turned around, putting his headphone on his head.

Rei followed after him quietly, while occasionally staring at his raven hair that swayed elegantly as he walked. His hair was neat and glossy from behind, and they appeared so soft. The urge to reach out bloomed within her, but she found such a desire strange. 

It did not take long for the two of them to arrive in the kitchen where everyone else were seating and eating their meal.

"Yahooo, Rei~! G'morning!" Waved Zane; his energy at the usual top rate.

Rei waved back and looked to Hein who appeared to be looking at her as well. "Slept well?" He asked with a gentle smile and eyes that seemed to be full of life.

She gave him a nod to which he replied with a smile. "Come here." He urged while gesturing for her to sit down beside his seat.

His words sounded a little commanding, but nobody seemed to notice. 

Rei dutifully followed his words and brought herself to the seat beside him.

"Eat this one. I made these. And this too." He grabbed one food after another causing others to look towards them.

Looking at his actions, Rei felt bewildered. Unconsciously, she looked towards Sophia, then she felt fear grip her heart for the latter's eyes expressed a sharp hateful glint straight towards her.

Quietly, she reached out for Hein to stop. Upon catching his attention, he could instantly see the fear in Rei's cobalt eyes. With a frown, he stared at her lovely face, worry masked his eyes. 

"Tell me what's wrong?" He was starting to suspect something was indeed making Rei feel uncomfortable, but he could not guess what.

To his query, Rei kept to herself in silence. She shook her head and focused on her meal. Without a word, she finished her meal and escaped the scary kitchen.

She was sure she did not want to remain in there for long.

Bad memories would resurface like strong waves, especially with the hateful glares Sophia was throwing at her intensely.

"Here's your food today. Be sure to save it up to last you a week. The master don't intend to send you another plate until after 8 days."

Rei nods in response, not looking at the person looking down on her.

"Tsk. Useless brat."

Then he left, banging the wooden door behind him as Rei flinched at the sound. 

"...ei, Rei?? Rei?" called out by someone gently, but it was obvious the voice was layered with panic.

From an empty gaze, she looked up to see Hein's worried expression.

She was starting to wonder why the guy before her always seem to appear frantic. She could not recognize the worry in his face.

As they continued to stare at one another for several minutes more, Hein heaved a sigh.

"I know what to do. Want to come with me?"

She did not say anything, but Hein knew she had no plans for today and thus dragged her out of the dormitory compound.

The next moment, they were in front of a huge building with huge glassed windows. Rei was fascinated at the sight.

"I want to communicate with you better, Rei."

Was all she heard him say before gently urging her to enter the building with him.

-------------

Inside their dormitory, a girl with blonde hair and beautiful blue eyes was seething mad.

"Knock it out Sophia. Hein never paid attention to you anyway."

"Be quiet, Alph. You don't understand...."

"WE do understand. He is just not meant for you."

"It has nothing to do with you, Zane. Just leave them alone."

"Exactly. Be like Tristan. Leave me alone. I've loved him for 8 years! None of you can ever understand that."

"You are just obsessed. Like this character in my book."

"...Alph...." Zane looked worriedly at Alph, fearing Sophia might attempt to harm her and causing the kitchen to be destroyed.

But contrary to his expectations, Sophia simply glared.

"You just wait...."

"Oh Sophie. I don't think he'll let you off this time around."

Alph's warning rang through Sophia's ears, but she did not pay heed to her words. Instead, wicked plans were then constructed to ruin a certain new girl's life.