6: He dotes on her

On Rei's first day of school, there was a huge ruckus as it was rare to have a transfer student in the middle of the year. Students flocked outside Rei's classroom, but the center of attention herself was busy reading a book Hein recommended her to finish.

She was so engrossed that she did not even noticed how some eyes were growing weirder as a certain rumor spread. Not like she paid any attention to gossip either.

When lunch break came, there was suddenly even more loud noises everywhere, then a shadow casts over Rei's table as she was resting her eyes looking outside, overlooking the spread of numerous students hanging out and playing about.

She still did not perk up when the loud noises suddenly quieted as soon as the cause of their ruckus stopped at Rei's desk until a voice spoke by her ear. "Anything fun outside?"

It was then that Rei met a pair of beautiful eyes that seemed to glow with life. She gave him a smile and generously said with her soft voice barely audible in Hein's ears: "En. It's lively outside..."

Seeing her limpid eyes that brought about a sense of innocence that seemed untainted, Hein's smile deepened. "Do you want to eat lunch outside?"

Only then did Rei remember about lunch. She has slowly gotten used to eating 3 meals a day, but sometimes, she tended to forget due to her long years of neglect. She did not want to delay Hein further and she immediately fished out her lunchbox that was identical to Hein's. Then she bobbed her head, indicating she was ready to go.

Hein offered her his hand, which she took by practice. They both left behind students who were left speechless. And when they were both several steps away from the classroom, the classroom roared with newfound gossip. 

"So it was true! Someone has charmed the Silver Emperor!!"

"I thought he was dating the Red Queen though??"

"Everybody thought they did, but did you just see that?? The Silver Emperor only had eyes on the new girl..."

"But... the rumor said that the Silver Emperor was being seduced by..."

"You don't mean that 'Bringer of Misfortune' in the rumors, do you? Today was that girl's first day, you know."

"Yea, I know... But everyone knows she's been living in the dorms a while ago already."

"Can she really kill people just by being touched once...?"

______________

Hein led Rei on the rooftop where one could see the sun shining bright and a little bit of wind. It looked very comfortable.

They both sat on the ledge by the high fence where Rei could look down over the expanse of the huge school grounds. She secretly felt awed at the sight where every students were doing something that made them smile and laugh.

As she was so focused at staring below, a food was suddenly poked by her mouth. When she looked down, it was Hein feeding her food. She was not surprised and gently opened her mouth to eat. 

Just as she was about to turn her head again, another mouthful was brought by her small mouth once again. This time, she looked up at Hein's face only to be met with his doting gaze. For a moment, she was still, but slowly, she ate from his spoon once again.

He looked at her carefully and said, "Delicious?"

Rei bobbed her head in assent and smiled a little despite how full her mouth was. She slowly munched her food like a squirrel, looking adorable.

Inwardly, Hein felt content just seeing Rei eat in satisfaction. When Rei was about to finish chewing, he offered her another spoonful to which she accepted readily.

Hence, their lunchbreak was spent with Hein feeding Rei personally. Rei did not find this strange at all as she was slowly getting used to Hein's ability to take care of people. 

She noticed him being the one to cook in the dorm for most of the time. And even manage the people, so that their living areas could remain clean. She thought he must love taking care of things, so she was happy to receive such generosity and kindness.

In all her life, this was the first time she'd seen anyone care for everyone and everything so much. She readily accepted this point as Hein's special characteristic and need not read more about his actions.

Oblivious to her, however, was that this was Hein's first time being so careful with anyone. 

Every time he saw Rei, he couldn't help but watch over her attentively as she seemed so clueless, but not in a bad way. Rather, her naivete leans more on ignorance to the world. As if she was never exposed to anything.

Only, he has yet known that Rei has only been exposed to unimaginable cruelties that nobody can just live by.

____________

Hein kindly dropped Rei to her classroom, leaving even more deep impression to their relationship for the students to speculate.

In just a day, Rei's popularity rose to star level.

And by the time the last class ended, the students in Rei's class were secretly speculating the visit of the Silver Emperor, Hein. 

True to their thoughts, Hein arrived to fetch Rei on the dot. Nobody saw Rei look anywhere else. She simply walked from her seat to the door, smoothly taking Hein's offered hand.

As their mysterious backs faded into the distance, the rest of the students in the classroom were suddenly struck dumb.

"I think I just felt something bloom in my chest..."

"Me too... They looked so perfect for some reason... I don't even care if the rumors are true anymore if it means seeing such a peaceful scene everyday."

"You know what, I agree... Can anyone find out who started that rumor? Obviously, our Silver Emperor hasn't met any misfortune even after holding hands with the new girl more than once!"

"I heard it was a senior or something."

"Let's find out who and stop this rumor from spreading. After being exposed to that serenity, I don't want to lose it just because someone seems jealous of our Silver Emperor's wife!"

"Wait. Where did the wife come from? Stop saying nonsense!"

"It's not nonsense! They obviously look like an old couple... Maybe they were childhood sweethearts, and only now did they reunite..."

"You're overthinking things..."

Hence, in just a day, the bad rumors that begun from a certain jealous girl was harshly suppressed by Rei's classmates who were more than supportive of the famous Silver Emperor and his wife.

Thus, aside from becoming popular in a day, Rei slowly became known as Hein's doted wife. And this was only for the first day.