3: And the nightmare haunts

"Rei, don't be scared when you meet the others okay? They are a pretty neat bunch behind the unique front."

As they walked, Hein held Rei's hand to his' like he was afraid she would get lost. She dutifully followed behind. "Hm." she softly sounded.

Satisfied with her soft response, he opened the door. What welcomed Rei was a group of teen busy at work.

"That's Sophia." Pointed Hein at a beautiful girl with golden hair and blue eyes. She was currently laying out the utensils for a meal.

"Alph." A teen busy on her book. She had raven hair and obsidian eyes.

"Tristan." Hein pointed at a youth who was rather focused on his laptop and the beat of the headphone's music.

"Lastly, Zane." And Rei saw him wave, which she returned hesitantly.

"Alright. This is gonna be your first meal here, but I hope you don't hold back!" Exclaimed Hein energetically. Rei could feel a pair of eyes glaring at her side and when she quietly turned to look, she met Sophia's blue eyes.

Rei could only stare blankly at her. Feeling rather awkward, Sophia turned around and brought over the prepared food.

Rei then felt a foreboding so familiar. Briefly glancing at the others, she did not notice anything unusual. Hein noticed her actions and wondered if something was worrying her. He reached to stroke her head, but he was rudely interrupted. Sophia's hand was on his wrist, her blue eyes seemed to tell him he should not complete his intentions.

With a shrug, Hein brought down his hand to his side and urged Rei to sit on a soft dining chair. It would seem to appear that Hein's attitude towards Sophia had made him feel rather tired and patience was barely spared, seemingly expressing similar situations have occurred before.

On the table, laid several plates of meat and vegetables. Potatoes were baked. "Deserts will be served after." Sophia informed quietly. Her stern and cold voice resounded to which others gave their nod.

It was the first time Rei had seen so many food in front of her. On good days, she was fed with a raw potato, while on every other day, she was fed with carrots and lettuce. Water was provided once a week, her restroom was a corner of her cell.

Fortunately, the Butler would come down and clean the cell, which would include her. But it was only once a month. Twelve times a year.

Suddenly realizing her stark contrast of lifestyle, Rei unconsciously curved into a ball. Her actions caused Hein to panic.

"Which of the food did you touch? Is your stomach hurting? Where do you hurt?? Do you not fancy the selection??? Is Zane causing you heart burn??!"

Too fast were his words that the others were momentarily stunned. "Shut up, Hein." Tristan threatened, putting his earphones unto his head once again. While Zane could only frown at the mention of his name, only to join in with concern.

"Was it the beef stew? Sophia's always been bad at them...." His words earned him Sophia's knuckle on the back of his head.

Rubbing his pain, Zane turned to look at Sophia's red face that he assumed was caused by anger and frustration. "S- But it's the truth!!" And another punch was delivered.

With every hit, Rei would flinch. Hein by her side could see her body jolt at every hitting sounds. He then looked towards Sophia and Zane, and raised his hand to a stop.

"Stop guys. Stop for a moment. If not, continue your daily spat in another room." His voice unusually stern, Sophia was left to obey and walked back to sit on her chair.

The only sound in the room was Alph's page turning, and Tristan's fast typing, both oblivious to Hein's worry and Rei's unconscious behaviour. Her face remained expressionless all throughout.

.
.
.

"One.... Two...." But before the count ended, a punch came flying. "Focus!! You are not allowed to move, remember?"

Although Rei did not move an inch, she received another punch to her jaw. She could already feel a slight uncomfortable arrangement to the bones. However, she was left to follow the orders of the men.

"There... there.... that looks great now. Your skin is so white, it looks great being drawn. I should try fire next time." As he said his last words, Rei involuntary shook at the notion of another kind of torture... Then she could feel herself drifting into another nightmarish slumber."

.
.
.

"Rei! Rei!!" She could hear someone calling her name, but she was drifting away.

In another moment, she lost her consciousness, causing her to fall backwards towards the hard floor. Right on time, Hein caught her waist, his eyes immediately grew wide with how light Rei was. 

As he lifted her up, he noticed her sleeping quietly on his chest. In contemplation, he felt something was not right. Nevertheless, he excused himself to put her in her new room for a proper rest.

Behind him, a glare so piercing could be seen. A Sophia could be seen grinding her teeth in extreme jealousy. Alph beside her softly sighed, while Zane could feel cold sweats dripping down on his back.