Three Months Notice

Marie

So here I was walking, or rather trotting along to keep up with my present boss and my future boss who step out with their long strides chatting away oblivious to my predicament.

"Hey!" I yelled stopping dead and placing my hands on my hips trying to regain my breath.

"Are you guys gonna slow down, or can I please go back to the office" now moving my hands to my knees as I bent over to steady my breathing.

I lifted my head to see they too had stopped and were looking down at me.

Great I've just shouted at my bosses and now they think I'm a weakling as I can't keep up.

"Heels" I huffed. "You should try walking in them"

Causing them both to look down at my feet, okay so they weren't high, high heels just low wedge heels, but damn them they were rubbing my feet, I didn't expect to be chasing two men down the street when I came to work this morning.

The restaurant was small and compact, small round tables with white linen tablecloths and napkins, so close together you had to breath in to squeeze between the patrons already eating, some even had to scoot in their chairs so we could pass, but no one complained,  because the food was exquisite, a family run establishment that was unhurried.

You may have to wait that little bit longer for service or your food, but trust me it was worth it in the end.

Jonathan and I have eaten here numerous times with client's and we swear that we sealed some of the deals due to the food. 

Seating ourselves at the table with the large reserved sign wedged between the covered water jug and the wooden condiments rack, I was surprised it was Richard who pulled my chair out for me as Jonathan had always insisted on doing it saying it had become our ritual mainly because the one time he didn't do it, we didn't land the contract.

"Good afternoon, Mr Whitlock, Marie and Sir,  what can I get for you today."

Hailey the eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs Giles the owners greeted us, she was quite tall for a Giles and easily surpassed her mother in height, in fact she was about the same height as her father, fairly thin in a modelesque sort of way and armed with a wicked sense of humour, that sometimes got her into trouble, but the regulars were use to her ways and usual gave as good as they got.

"Now Hailey " Jonathan growled in mock anger folding his arms over his chest.

"How many times have I told you to call me Jonathan and not Mr Whitlock,  it makes me feel old"

"Oh but Mr Whitlock you are old, an ancient walking artifact and as for the amount of times you have asked me, why everytime you've been in" and she fluttered her eye lashes at him grinning.

"I should have you sacked for your lack of customer care" he muttered with a smile on his face.

"Then you wouldn't have such lovely service and a waitress that keeps you grounded, now would you like a normal portion or the smaller OAP portion Mr Whitlock "

That made the three of us chuckle, while Richard looked on in bemused shock.

After placing our orders and Hailey departed, Richard spoke up.