Best Laid Plans

Richard

I have never felt so relieved in my life, as when Marie agreed to stay for three months, I was in shock when she said she was leaving, a month was to short a time, I wasn't sure three months was enough but it would have to do, I had been hoping she would  agree to relocate to our head office in London so I could be near her and try and explain what happened between us and why I did what I did.

But I could see the anger and hurt in her eyes and knew this would not be an easy task, when the opportunity to take over Whitlock media came up I took it, knowing they had some lucrative contracts so I paid over the odds for the shares after putting pressure on them to sell.

The cherry on the cake was the fact Marie worked there, I found this out during my takeover and that made me only more determined to win.

I now had a slim chance of getting her back, now my life was sorted out, there was nothing to stop me, only her.

I had genuine reasons why I left her both times, reasons I could now substantiate, but I  had no defence for not telling her at the time, I was a coward and left her with no explanations and now would she believe me, would she let me explain, I'm not so sure.

I was a fool, yes a cowardly fool, I let others stand in my way and dictate who I could see and who I couldn't, but did I stand up for her, no! I took the easy root and didn't tell her because it was easier and I was a coward! Now I was going to pay the price.

"Are you okay Richard " the hand of Jonathan rested on my shoulder as we walked back to the office.

"It's looked as you were miles away" a kindly smile, then his eyes flicked to Marie you was striding out in front of us, God she was more gorgeous than ever, why oh why had I let her go.

Jonathan's eyes returned to my face and his smile widened.

"Beautiful isn't she and smart, would be a shame to let her go"

I looked at him and could see the mischief dancing in his eyes, this old man was up to something I could sense it.

"She is" I replied.

"You know we often talked about her goals and aspirations and if you hadn't taken over the company, I always dreamed I would retire and she would run the company for me, that's her ambition you know"

Now his eyes had that are you listening to what I'm telling you. Look.

"In fact she's never had a serious relationship as far as I know, she's to set on achieving her dreams I suppose, though I get the feeling sometimes, that there was someone that she cared for very much and I'm sure she still does, he just needs to put it right, then she would be truly happy, what do you think Richard?"

The sly old bastard knows, that's why he's telling me these things, he's giving me his blessing to chase her, but warning me to treat her right this time, damn don't worry I've got this old man and this time, if there is ever going to be a this time I won't let go.

"And you're right Jonathan letting her go is not an option"

"Good I'm glad we're on the same page" he chuckled slapping me on the shoulder.

Oblivious to our conversation Marie carried on almost marching back to the office I got the distinct impression she was trying to get away from me and shut herself away in her office, so not happening.

A plan was formulating in my brain and as the pieces started to slot into place making my smile widened.

"I can see your mind working, but be warned Richard,  you will need your A game here she's so stubborn one slip and you lose" Jonathan reminded me.

"Then trust me on this Jonathan when I say I never lose"

"Well be warned you may have met your match, in this one"

"Oh I'm well aware of that, we are definitely a perfect match, I've just got to get her to see it that way"

After that we walked in a comfortable silence, Jonathan the matchmaker with a sly smile on his face and me deep into my plan to extend Marie's stay indefinitely.

Watching Marie's hips swaying side to side as she took her anger of me, out in her forced march, I couldn't help but remember that time I had her in my bed.

She was definitely not sober and as hard as I fought my need for her, the harder she pushed, I had never seen her that confident in school and the things she did to get me to give in, I couldn't help it, I am a man after all, that didn't stop the guilt when I left her standing waiting for me to show, knowing that was her first time and as you never forget your first time, I had left her with bitter memories.

Suddenly pulled from my thoughts by a ringing phone that Jonathan snatched up, I realised we were back in the office and Marie was nowhere to be seen.

"Damn" muttered Jonathan.

"Problems?" I enquired.

"Minor ones, a little glitch in the Butler and Turner deal, I will need to get the details from Marie and arrange a meeting"

"Wait I have a plan, but I need you help and cooperation to pull it off because it involves Marie" It's was a perfect plan and with Jonathan's consent it could work.

After I explained what I wanted to do, he gave me a shrewd look then his facial features morphed into a happy beaming smiling face.

"You're learning" he quipped, before nodding his agreement, adding.

"It's all but your company now so you can do what you want and for what it's worth, I'm one hundred percent behind you"

I don't know why but hearing that praise from Jonathan raised my hopes, now all I had to do was sell it to Marie and as if he could read my mind, Jonathan picked up the phone and called Marie asking her to come to the office, if she could straight away, there was a problem with the Butler and Turner deal that needed immediate attention.

As he replaced the receiver, he winked at me and chuckled.

"That will bring her scurrying here in no time, then my boy, the balls in your court"

And I sincerely hope it turns out to be Richard Freeman thirty Marie Summers love.