Chapter 4

Le Arms

Ok, so this is different from le hands (obviously) one being the actions with only our hands, and this being actions with just our arms. Arms are quite reliable in indicating mood and feelings of others, especially when interpreted with other body language. You will mostly see that a lot of these gestures are used as protection or defensiveness or nervousness.

Let's Start:

Cross arms: You probably see this a lot, and it usually means defensiveness and reluctance. It is sort of like a barrier that people use for protection or separation. This is something I definitely do a lot. BUT people also use this when they are feeling cold, so be mindful of the weather at the time I guess.

Crossed arms (with clenched fists): You better step down son if you have caused someone to do this. It can be a sign of hostility and/or defensiveness, with the clenched fists reinforcing stubbornness, aggression, or lack of empathy indicated by crossed arms.

Crossed arms (with thumbs): Displaying your thumbs is said to be a sign of superiority and self confidence. It can also be found in situations where a person is feeling cool or in control while still maintaining that level of protection with crossed arms. Apparently it can also be seen in exams, where a student is feeling confident, but still feels threatened by something going wrong (which I am unsure of how this works. How does a student complete their exam with crossed arms? Are you feeling so confident that you will do well in this exam that you don't even have to do anything??)

Gripping own upper arms: A person gripping their own upper arms can signify insecurity. It is kind of like self hugging, which is an attempt to reassure unhappy or unsafe feelings. I do this when I am about the present something in front of a class (a horrifying experience).

One arm across body clasping other arm by side (female): Nervousness. Men tend not to use this gesture, unlike female. It is a 'barrier' protective signal, also self-hugging.

Arms held behind body with hands clasped: This generally conveys confidence and authority, as seen being used by police men and armed forces, teachers (etc)

Touching or scratching shoulder using arm across body: Once again, this move is another 'barrier' as a protective signal, communicating nervousness.

Arm across body adjusting accessory (e.g. watch, tie, cuff): Like I said, most of these are going to mean to same thing: nervousness. Only now do I realise how much I actually do a lot of these things.

Hand bag held in front of body (female): Female, since you don't normally see a male carrying a hand bag. Who knows? Maybe one day. It is said that this can reveal nervousness in a female, the bag being used as a protective barrier thing.

---

So even though most of these meant the same thing, it is still something to learn.

EXAMS ARE FINALLY OVER AND I AM SORRY FOR THAT. They continued for 3 (bloody) weeks, but in the end, I finished them, and now it is holidays (woop woop). I will try to continue to  update weekly (maybe more over holidays?) so I hope you continue to read this.

Any suggestions for what you would like to know about? HMU and I got you. I enjoy doing this research, as I get to learn along with you guys and relay it to you.

Random side note: As well, I have been learning sign language (for no reason whatsoever) and man it is fun.

ONCE AGAIN please tell me if there are any mistakes and I hope you learnt something new!! Thank you for reading :D

---

Websites used:

http://www.businessballs.com/body-language.htm#arms-body-language

https://lonerwolf.com/body-language-arms/