Chapter 13

Le Conversation/Communication Facts

Like the title of this writing says, we've mostly focused on body language in relation to communication, so I thought maybe it would be good to look at some facts of general communication. Put this knowledge together with that of body language and you're good to go.

Lets start:

1. Remembering someones name is seen as a compliment, and has shown to make people more likely to help you.

2. The way we interpret a persons message when communication is based on these three factors:

   - 55% of facial expressions and body language

   - 37% of tone of voice

   - 8% of the words being said

3. That being said our facial expressions therefore matter way more.

4. Its a fact that people love to talk about themselves. In fact, doing so is about the same sensation of pleasure that food and money give, and about 40% of speech is dedicated to telling people about how you feel etc. If you want to make your conversation partner feel happy, ask them about their own interest and how they feel.

5. The following three things are what make us feel more closer to someone and will like them more:

   - Similarities to you

   - Being complimented

   - People who cooperate with you

6. Good communicators and good listeners. Listen well when someone talks, as you will get a better understanding of their knowledge and perspective, as well as gain trust and respect. Listen more and talk less for effective communication, let others offer their thoughts first.

7. Apparently our hearing is much slower than our brain's ability to think. We listen only 100-125 words per minute while our brain can utilize up to 3000 words per minute during thinking.

8. We are more likely to remember images for longer than words. Images go into your long-term memory whilst words go into short-term. (This is a good fact to consider when studying)

9. The way you sit or stand portray whether you are interested, bored, or whatever.

10. There is no such thing as a neutral face. A neutral face is perceived negatively. The face we put on when thinking or zoning out, our 'resting' face, is actually communication something negatively.

---

I'm so sorry for the long wait!

I graduated last week and now I have to study for my HSC which is in 2 weeks. I will therefore be studying for that and updates won't be frequent until afterwards.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and learnt something new. 

Feedback is appreciated ~

---

Bibliography:

https://blog.bufferapp.com/why-talking-about-ourselves-is-as-rewarding-as-sex-the-science-of-conversations

https://www.ccl.org/articles/leading-effectively-articles/communication-1-idea-3-facts-5-tips/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/amyanderson/2013/05/28/successful-business-communication-it-starts-at-the-beginning/#4c0fe0d91db5

http://esciencecommons.blogspot.com.au/2011/03/key-facts-about-nonverbal-communication.html

http://www.yodiz.com/blog/effective-communication-5-surprising-facts-you-should-know/

http://www.livestrong.com/article/128321-nonverbal-communication/