Chapter 5

Le Mouth

The mouth acts independently, unlike the nose and ears, which is why it is getting its own chapter. It can be quite expressive through speech as well as performing a central role in facial expressions.

Let's start:

Fake smile: To tell the difference between a fake smile and a real one, there are a couple of signs to look for. A pasted smile is one that appears quickly, and is fixed longer than a real one, as well as not seeming to reach the eyes. It pretty much means they are suppressing their displeasure or forced agreement of some sort.

Tight-lipped smile: This smile is indicating that the person has some secrecy or is holding feelings in. It looks like it is stretched across the face with their teeth concealed. It could mean that the person has a secret they don't want to tell, maybe due to dislike or distrust, but can also be a sign of rejection.

Twisted smile: Mixed feelings or sarcasm. It looks as if there is 2 different emotions on each half of the face.

Lip biting: This is one of the many signals that indicates feelings of tension and stress, maybe due to high concentration, but more likely to be anxiousness.

Thumb-sucking: When looking at this on an adult, it may be a sign of self-comfort.

Pursing lips: Thoughtfulness or upset. As if they are holding words in their mouth until they are ready to be said. It can also show anxiousness, or impatience at not being able to speak (which is freaking annoying). On the other hand, it can quite differently show upset, as if suppressing crying.

Nail biting: I can't remember if this one was already in a different chapter, but let's take a look anyway. It is pretty clear, but it is something someone may do to in fear, usually done to suppress that emotion. It can also mean suppression of some other behaivour. If done continually, it can become a habit, used for self-comfort, again typically prompted by frustration or fear. Stress doesn't cause nail-biting, but rather nail-biting is the outward demonstration of stress.

Dropped-jaw smile: It is another faked smile, but this one is more of a practiced one than an instinctive one. The jaw is dropped lower than that of a natural smile, the act of which creates a smile.

Smile - tilted head, looking up: Playfulness, teasing, coy. Head tilted sideways and downwards so as to part hide the face, from which the smile is directed via the eyes at the intended target.

Bottom lip jutted out: Basically, sadness.

Forced laughter: This is often a sign of nervousness or stress, used as an effort to dispel tension or change the atmosphere. Artificial laughter is a signal of cooperation and a wish to maintain empathy. (This may sound bad, but I actually fake laughter a lot only because when no one laughs, it gets awkward, and I cannot stand awkward silences).

Teeth grinding: Tension, suppression. This can occur due to a suppression of natural reaction due to fear or some other suppressant.

---

Guys, if you have any suggestions, PLEASE suggest. I'm thinking this 'electronic book' will not be as long as I hoped. 

Do you think I should add something else to this 'book' that links with communication? Suggest anything else you want to learn about in terms of communicating with people :D

The next chapter will be in personal space, then after that, I have no idea- which is why I need something from you guys -BY THE WAY, THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO IS READING AND THE VOTES, AND ADDING THIS TO YOUR READING LIST. YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND HOW HAPPY IT MAKES ME TO KNOW THAT PEOPLE ACTUALLY READ DIS ^.^

Please educate me on any mistakes in this chapter!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter and learnt something you probably didn't at school. Byeeeeee :D

---

Websites used:

http://www.businessballs.com/body-language.htm#mouth-body-language