The Talk (majorly edited)

Draco's p.o.v

I kept staring at the fire. Like the coward that I was, I couldn't tell her how I felt.

My heartbeat quickened when she slid closer to me. We were so close that I could smell vanilla and chocolate scent coming from her.

After what seemed like forever, she spoke up.

"Draco."

I did not reply so she continued.

"I really don't know how to feel. Embarassed? Angry or sad? I don't know. I can't imagine what you must have felt seeing me stupidly pass out a few hours ago."

"I don't blame you for what happened. I deserved it for being the asshole that I was to you."

"No, that's not what I—"

"Don't you understand?" I had finally had enough and snapped. "I made your life terrible. You went through such emotional trauma that I couldn't even imagine and I stupidly watched you face the torture. There's nothing you can say that justifies my behavior towards you so please, don't try making me feel otherwise because I don't deserve it. I don't deserve you."

She looked shocked at my angry tone so I quickly mumbled an apology.

"I'm sorry, Hermione. I - "

She cut me off by hugging me. I was taken aback for sure because I didn't know how to feel about it. Pathetic? Happy?

She pulled back when I didn't hug her back. A deep red coloured her cheeks.

"Sorry," she mumbled, "I thought you needed that hug. My parents used to do it to me all the time."

"Thank you," I said, smiling slightly, "I guess I needed it."

She looked relieved and said, "Anytime. You're my friend now."

I smiled through that too. I thought it was better than her hating me. It did comfort me to an extent.

She didn't love me. But seeing her smile made my day. Maybe love could wait.

Suddenly, the smile dropped from her face and she instantly looked worried.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Draco, I think the marriage thing should wait. We're just friends right now, I don't know if it'd be appropriate to jump straight into this."

She thought I didn't love her and saw her only as a friend. If only she knew, oh boy.

I smirked, my Slytherin brain concocting a plan.

"What?" She frowned looking at me.

"Let's make a bet."

"What sort of bet?"

"Let's see who falls for the other first. No time limit, but the rule is the one who loses would have to fulfil one wish of the winner."

She cocked an eyebrow. "Seriously?"

"Scared already, Granger? Scared that you'll fall first for my devilishly handsome looks?"

"In your dreams, Malfoy." She rolled her eyes. Cute.

"Challenge accepted?" I asked, the smirk never leaving my lips. Her eyes lit up with the idea of it.

Yup, my kinda girl.

"Challenge accepted."