Chapter 16: Fighting chance

~Maxon~

I can hear May's labored breathing in the corner, she looks diffret from when I last saw her some years ago. Her once bright blue eyes are now dull and sunken. Her hair is stringy and frames her pale face.
A sweat a has engulfed her body, the fever is getting worse. She shakes uncontrollably trashing on the dirt floor. She woke up screaming last night. Screaming one name over and over.
America.
I crawl over to May and undo her bandages on her head. The fowl smell of infection wafts up from it, and I gag. I lay them beside her and gasp as I look at her cut. Around the gash the skin is puffy and milky liquid oozes out of it.  Red tendrils run from the gash down her neck. The light of the morning reveals more wounds. Her mangled lip and obviously broken nose are caked in dried blood, congealed and cracked.
I delicately rip another strip from my shirt and place it on the cut.  I lean back against the cobblestone wall, my knees are against my chest, and I close my eyes. Wishing it would go away.
The sounf of keys being inserted in our cage brings me to and there stands the man from last night. He leans down and brushes maya hair from her face.
"Hey" I say standing up. "What are you doing?"
He places a finger to his lips and motions toward the sleeping man across from our cell the one who got me caught. He stand up and walks towards me and whispers in my ear. "I can get you both out. You and the girl. I brought provisions for you both food medicine clothes."
He walks back over to May and slips his arms under her frail body. She lays limply in his arms and hangs there. I follow him into the lit corridor.
"Why are you helping us?" I question, but he doesn't answer. He leads me further. Until he stops at a dead end. He turns around and hands me mays limp body, he turns back towards the wall and presses on some stones. The wall swings in to reveal a passage way. He shoulders off a bag and hands it to me.
"Why are you helping us?" I ask again.
To my surprise he answers, " I had a little girl once. She died some years back while we were on the run. If someone had helped us, helped her.... she would have lived. But no one did." He brushes the side of May's face tears welling up in his eyes. " i made a promise when I buried her that I would help people who needed it in anyway I could. Good luck to you two." He smiled and turned walking back to the cells. He looks back over his shoulder, " the funny thing is she looked just like her."
My eyes follow his until he leaves. I look down at May and smile she has a fighting chance now. I head into the tunnel, I look back one more time. I carefully shift Mays weight enough to close the wall behind me. I swing the wall shut, and head further down the hall towards the pinprick of light. Towards freedom. Towards America.

*~*~*~*~*~*
Hey guys I'm so sorry, I'm currently working on 2 others book. One of which explains why I haven't been updating. Once again I'm so sorry. But I hope you like it.