Chapter 6: The Marauders.

The shouting outside continued for a little over an hour as Remus told James, Alice, Fred and Arthur storys from his youth.
The door opened slowly and Nymphadora stepped through closing it behind her, she looked at James with tears forming in her red eyes. She pulled him into a hug "I'm sorry honey that shouldn't have happened" Tonks sobbed.
"It's fine mum don't worry" James reassured her.
"No its not! Quit being stoic like your father, you should be furious, yelling 'how dare you' and 'its all your fault' not saying ' it's fine' because it's not." She hugged him tighter.
"Honestly mum, despite this little bit of trouble it's been great! Now have some cake and cheer up." James laughed.
After a few minutes had passed and everyone had calmed there rage, the adults started telling amusing storys about there time at Hogwarts.
As the adults were all talking James sat himself down next to the vivarium that contained Ignus. Ignus was a relatively small lizard that could comfortabley sit on James's palm. He picked up his new copy of 'Fantastic Beasts and Were to Find Them' and turned to the page marked Salamander.

'Salamander. Clarification XXX

The Salamander is a reptile that much resembles the non magical Haria Lizard. Salamanders can usually be found close to warm temperatures, this is because they can not survive without heat. They will usually seek out the warmest place so it can to dig a den for itself.
Salamanders unlike most creatures do not eat plants or meat, or anything considered food by the animal Kingdom. They eat highly flammable materials like coal, charcoal etc. This is so they can burn it off to create heat in themselves.
A Salamander has three distinct phases, the first is when it's normal which gives it, it's standard coal black look. When around heat like coal it will warm up and glow a deep red that can easily scorch you. Finally when it has been left near heat long enough its scales will glow a magnificent golden colour that can easily melt most metals.
Warning: Salamanders should be handled with gloves, if it makes skin to skin contact it will form a bond of loyalty with a person. This will imply ownership of the reptile so if that's not you aim handle with caution......'
With a rush of excitement James opened the vivarium, and carefully put his hand in. The reptile jumped onto his and and wrapped it's tale round James's wrist. Pulling his hand out James saw Ignus standing on the back of his hand, using its long tongue to lick his skin.
Alice sat on the chair next to him "There incredible loyal those things, you seem to have a natural talent with animals."
"It's thanks to YOUR grandfather's book" James reasoned.
"Quit being modest any idiot can pick up a book and read, it takes real skill to handle animals as well as you do. I've seen that owl of yours it would do anything for you." she explained.
"Alright... if you say so." James blushed.
James heard his mother shout "Right guys it's 10, time to head home, it's a big day tomorrow." Within 20 minutes Harry had taken Alice, home James had gotten changed and was getting into bed.
As he was settling down he heard as soft nock at his door, the door opened and Remus Lupin poked his head inside. He walked in and sat down on the end of James's bed, Dantès swooped down of the wardrobe and landed on James's knee.
After making himself comfortable Lupin asked "Hey cub, so what was your opinion on the party?"
"It was good, had a small disturbance but eh that's not too bad" James replied.
"That's a very adult attitude... now you may be wandering why I didn't get you something?" Remus asked.
"Well yeah kinda, but I wasn't going to say anything and seem rude?"
"As I said before, very mature but I just didn't want to give it to you infront of everyone, especially McGonigal." Lupin said with a knowing smile.
From his pocket Lupin pulled out a small box and placed it on the floor, and with a tap of his wand it expanded. The 'box' was an old and tattered Hogwarts trunk, at the bace of the box were the initials R.J.L in gold text. Remus opened the lid to reveal all sorts of magical items, Lupin grinned "This, cub, is all the equipment designed and created by "The Marauders". Everything you'll need to become Hogwarts best pranksters: tools, guides, equipment, everything. So what do you think?" Remus asked.
"It's amazing Moony but why are you giving it all to me?" James asked.
"I think it's time for the mantle of Marauder to be passed on, and I think you and your friends are the best choice. After all you've heard my storys, Fred and Arthur are the sons of a legendary Weasely twin, and Alice well she's very cunning and straight forward."
James was amazed at all this and was amazed at the creativity of it all, "Thanks Moony this is amazing" James said.
"Any time cub, just make sure you don't get caught. Outside of school I'm Moony but unfortunately in school I'm Professor Lupin, I'll have to treat you like every student so don't make me confiscate any of this." he gestured to the old trunk.
Lupin stood up and straighted his jacket "Well... it's late and you need to be up early tomorrow, so I'd recommend getting some sleep if you want to get some good sleep. So cub goodnight, sweet dreams and I'll see you at Hogwarts tomorrow. Oh and before I forget to shrink the trunk just tap it with your wand, don't worry it's not classed as under-aged magic."
Remus left the room shutting the door behind him. After stroking Dantès for a few seconds James said "Time to sleep". And with a rustle of his scruffy feathers Dantès glided to the foot of James's bed, tucked his head under his wing and setteld down. James looked over to his new friend in its vivarium, Ignus was curled up on a warming stone. James turned of his lamp said "Night you two." and setteld down to sleep.

And there's a new chapter sorry it took so long, I should be able to get back into my routine. As always constructive criticism is welcome.

And until next time have fun.