Chapter 9 Arriving And Sorting.

As the quartet stepped of the train onto a platform, they heard Hagrid bellow "First years this way!" and followed the people heading towards him. Hagrid instantly recognised the four " 'ello you four, bet you didn't expect to see me so soon."

"No we didn't, it's good to see you." James smiled. 

"Good seeing you too, now hurry, to get the best view you need to get a boat at the front. I sit in boat four so I recommend that 'n."

Sitting down in boat four James asked "Is anyone else a bit nervous?" 

"I'm not but I suppose you have great reason to be." Arthur said.

"Why?" James asked looking slightly confused.

"Well your dad's 'The boy who lived' the greatest hero the wizarding world has ever seen. I'm sure everyone will want to be your friend, they'll want to hear story's about him and how great he is." Arthur stated in matter of fact tone.

"Arthur is right James, not everyone will be your friend for you... unfortunately for your family. But luckily you have us to watch your back, right guys?" Alice stated. 

"Yep."Fred nodded. 

"Definitely." Arthur also nodded. 

"Thanks guys, Lord knows what I'd do without you." James sighed with relief. 

"Probably be very bored my dear friend." Fred grinned. 

"It seems your stuck with us mate!" Arthur laughed. 

"There are worst people to be stuck with." James stated. 

After 20 minutes all the boats were full and Hagrid sat down into the back of boat four "FORWARD!" he yelled and the boats started to move, he beamed a smile at them "Right you four, this should be a real treat."

    The sight that greeted them took there breath away, the large Castle stood out against the evening sky. Orange light started to glow from the windows. 

   They all stepped out of there boats on a small dock under the Castle, the small first years proceed up a flight of stone steps where they were met by an even smaller man. Hagrid stopped quite a few steps down so they could be equal heights "First years Professor Flitwick." Hagrid informed the small wizard.

"Thank you Professor Hagrid, I'll take it from here." The small man said with a kind smile. 

"As you say sir." Hagrid then proceeded to walk through the door behind the tiny professor. Flitwick then turned to look at the students and gave them a warm smile, "Greetings young witches and Wizards and welcome to Hogwarts, now I know that you're all very exited to pick up your wand and start learning spells. But first there is the formality of sorting, you will be sorted into one of four houses:  Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. Whilst you are hear your house will be like your family, your triumphs will gain your house points, any rule breaking will lose points. At the end of the year the number of points will be added up and the house with the most points will win the house cup. Now whilst I say 'Your house will be like your family' do feel free to make friends with people outside your house, after all diversity makes us stronger. Please prepare yourself, the sorting ceremony will be begin in a moment. 

   The door opened and they entered a large room with long tables filled with older students, at the end of the hall before the table filled with staff and in front of which sat a small stool with a tatty hat upon it. Next to it stood a stepladder atop which stood professor Flitwick holding a list. 

   As the line of first years stopped before the tiny professor "Before the sorting ceremony can begin, Professor McGonagall would like to give the announcements." Flitwick chirped. Professor McGonagall stood her face serious "Welcome back all, I hope you all had a splendid summer. Firstly I'd like to tell you that The Forbidden Forest is exactly that, forbidden to all students unless accompanied by a teacher. Secondly Mr Filch has asked me to remind you that all prank items are banned, see his door for the full list. Now let's begin the sorting." Professor McGonagall took her seat again. 

   The tiny professor cleared his throat "When I read out your name I'd like you to sit on this stool, I'll place the sorting hat on your head and you'll be placed into your house. Could Anderson, Rebecca come forward?" A girl with tan skin and honey blonde hair stepped forward and sat down, Professor Flitwick then put the hat on her head, it sat there for a moment before it roared "Hufflepuff!" the lining of her robes turned yellow, the Hufflepuff table broke out in cheers and she went to join them. After that it became pretty standard until the name "Potter, James" was said and the the hall became deadly silent, James could see every eye in the hall on him as he walked up to the stool. The hat was placed on his head and he instantly head whispers in his ear. "Ah a Potter you're always interesting. I see there's a lot of your mother in you, not how I'd have bet on him marry... I expected the smart bushy haired one, such pride but a friendly nature and a large supply of loyalty. You'd certainly make a good Hufflepuff but you have such a temper... I can feel it. Lots of bravery and a strong moral compass but not the brightness chap are you? " The hat mutter. 

"Would you mind not insulting me you tattered old heap of..." James snapped. 

"Ah ha! There it is and it tells me all I need to know" The hat paused. "BETTER BE GRYFFINDOR!" the hat bellowed. The Gryffindor table erupted in cheers as the lining of James's robes became scarlet, he had never felt as embarrassed as they chanted 'We got Potter'. As he took a seat at the long tables he looked to the staff, he saw Remus with a large smile clapping and gave him a polite nod. He also saw Professor McGonagall look like she'd run and tackle him into a hug, Hagrid clapped loudly, tears of pride in his eyes all he had to do now was wait for his friends.

   It wasn't long before James heard "Scamander, Alice" she stepped up to the stool looking nervous, James gave her a calming smile and she smiled back at him. She stat down and the hat was placed on her head after a minute or two the hat yelled "RAVENCLAW! " and as her robe lining turned blue, James felt like a heavy book was dropped on him from a great height. She stood up and nervously joined the Ravenclaw table Fred and Arthur turned to look at James both sharing a look of disbelief. A little time after that Professor Flitwick said "Weasley, Arthur".  Arthur took a seat on the stool and as the hat touched his head it shouted "GRIFFINDOR!" Arthur then came down and took a seat across the table from James. Straight after his brother prepared himself as  Flitwick said " Weasley, Frederick" and once again the hat yelled "GRIFFINDOR!" he then came down and sat next to his brother. He looked ecstatic "Good going guys, nearly all together." 

"But not all together" James murmured. 

"Don't worry mate we'll see her outside of class and in some classes I presume." Arthur said with a soft smile. The twins suddenly looked up as they heard "Weasley, Honoria" and before the hat had touched her head it yelled "SLYTHERIN!" She looked like someone had slapped her across the face, she stomped off to the Slytherin table as her cousins laughed. As the last few students were placed in there houses James looked across at the Ravenclaw table where Alice sat looking upset and alone. 

And that's the new chaptered down sorry about the absence, I should be getting back into a routine. Constructive criticism is as always welcome.

And until next time have fun.