7. Ghost

"You're my ghost, where'd you go? What happened to the soul that you used to be?" ~ Ghost, Halsey

I wake up to someone gently shaking my shoulder, and roll onto my back with a heavy sigh. 

"Morning, princess," Dad whispers. "If you want to say goodbye to Harry then you need to get up now."

"What time is it?"

"Quarter to six."

"Bloody hell."

Hermione, Ginny, and Tay are all still fast asleep when we leave, and the house seems even darker than usual. The kitchen is unexpectedly busy when we enter; Harry is sitting at the table nervously eating some toast, and Mr and Mrs Weasley, Sirius, Lupin, and Tonks are all gathered around him, all fully dressed (save for Mrs Weasley, who is wearing a purple dressing gown.)

"Morning, dear," Mrs Weasley says, smiling at me across the room as I sit down beside Harry, giving him a nudge. 

"M-morning, Haylee," Tonks says, yawning, her hair now blonde and curly. 

"Do you want anything, dear?" Mrs Weasley asks me. "Porridge? Muffins? Kippers? Bacon and eggs? Toast? Or will you be heading back to bed soon?"

"No, thank you," I say through a yawn. "I'm just here to see Harry off. How are you feeling?"

He shrugs. 

"It will all be over soon," Dad says bracingly, rubbing his back. "In a few hours' time, you'll be cleared."

Again, Harry says nothing. 

"The hearing's on my floor, in Amelia Bone's office. She's Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, and the one who'll be questioning you."

"Amelia Bones is okay, Harry," Tonks says earnestly. "She's fair, she'll hear you out."

Harry nods, still unable to think of anything to say. 

"Don't lose your temper," Sirius says abruptly. "Be polite and stick to the facts."

He nods again. 

"The law's on your side," Lupin adds quietly. "Even underage wizards are allowed to use magic in life-threatening situations."

Harry jumps slightly as Mrs Weasley begins attacking his hair with a wet comb, pressing hard against his head. 

"Does it ever lie flat?" she says desperately. 

"No," Dad says instantly, ruffling his own messy hair. He then jabs at my own hair, which I've thrown up into a ponytail in a desperate attempt to keep it neat. "It's a blessing and a curse. But mostly it's just a curse."

"D'you want this?" Harry asks quietly, pushing his toast towards me. The first thing he's said all morning. 

Mr Weasley checks his watch and looks at Harry and Dad. 

"I think we'll go," he says. "We're a bit early, but I think you'll be better off at the Ministry than hanging around here."

"Okay," Harry says, standing up instantly. 

"You'll be all right, Harry," Tonks says, patting his arm. 

"Good luck," Lupin adds, "I'm sure it will be fine."

"And if it's not," Sirius says grimly, "I'll see to Amelia Bones for you..."

Harry smiles weakly as Mrs Weasley hugs him. 

"We've all got our fingers crossed," she says. 

Finally, I stand up and pull Harry into a tight hug. He seems to melt into my arms, hugging me back so tightly it feels as if he'll never let go.