11. The Guts to Say Anything

"Is this what it feels like? Finding out I've got the guts to say anything. Feels like breaking out. When I can give up my reputation. Finally, I can see, honestly, I've got the guts to say anything" ~ Guts, All Time Low

I wake up early the next morning to find Lavender and Parvati dressing hurriedly, not daring to even turn and look in my direction. Confused, I stand and begin changing, watching them from the corner of my eye. Seemingly, Hermione is already dressed and downstairs, but Tay is still here, eyeing the other girls sceptically. 

"Had a good holiday?" I call across the room, buttoning up my blouse. 

"Not really," Lavender says coldly. "My parents didn't want me to come back, actually."

"Why's that?" I ask slowly, feeling a sick feeling rise in my stomach. 

"Well," she says in a measured voice, "I suppose it's because of you, Haylee."

"Me?" I question, beginning to feel vaguely sick. 

"Well, not just you specifically," she says defensively. "It's your brother, too, and Dumbledore, and - and - "

"Her father," Tay interjects firmly, walking to stand beside me. 

"Yes! What happened, it's not natural," Lavender claims. "And then you try and claim that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has returned!"

"so you believe the Prophet then?" I question hotly, stepping towards her. She nods. I turn away furiously and snatch up my wand, shoving it into my pocket harshly. 

"Look...maybe if you told us what really happened that night," she says tentatively, "you know, with Cedric Diggory and all that."

"Why bother asking me when you can just read the Daily Prophet?" I retort. "That'll tell you everything you need to know."

I slam my trunk closed, my hands trembling with anger. 

"Don't talk to me like that!" Lavender says angrily. 

"I'll have a go at anyone who calls Harry and me liars!" I snap, my temper rising rapidly. "If you've got such a problem with me, go and ask McGonagall if you can be moved from this Dormitory."

"Hey, hey, that's enough," Tay speaks up, placing a hand on my shoulder. 

"You know what," Lavender says heatedly, "she's right. I don't want to share a dormitory with her, she's mad!"

"That's out of line, Lavender," Tay says, her cheeks starting to glow red. 

"Out of order, am I?" Lavender shouts, who in contrast to Tay is going pale. "So you believe all the rubbish they've come out with about You-Know-WHo, do you, reckon she's telling the truth?"

"Yeah, I do!" Tay hisses. 

"Then you're mad, too," she says in disgust. Quite literally shaking with anger, I grab Tay's wrist and pull her from the room, down into the common room. 

"Hey, don't worry about her," Tay says as we walk down the steps. But I'm not consoled. How much more of this will I have to take?

The others are waiting for us downstairs, and Harry looks just as angry as I feel. 

"What's the matter?" Hermione asks us, as we head down for breakfast. "You both look really angry about something."

"Seamus reckons Harry and Haylee are lying about You-Know-Who," Ron says when neither of us responds. 

I sigh angrily. "Lavender thinks so, too." 

Hermione, who I had expected to jump to our defence, simply sighs. "Yes, she was talking about it last night, before you got back."