18. The Educational Decree

"Cause I know what it's like to test fate, had my shoulders pressed with that weight. Stood up strong in spite of hate" ~ Linkin Park, A Light That Never Comes. 

RIP CHESTER BENNINGTON

The meeting on Saturday left me feeling happier than I have all term. I spent the remainder of Saturday finishing off my homework, and then spend much of Sunday spending time with Draco on the grounds, enjoying the last burst of Autumn sunshine. He seems to take notice of my improved mood, but chooses not to comment on it; instead, he makes jokes and speaks enthusiastically about the upcoming Quidditch season, holding my hand and occasionally kissing the faint scar that Umbridge left. 

Knowing they we're doing something to resist Umbridge and the Ministry and that Harry and I are key parts of this rebellion, gives me a feeling of immense satisfaction. I keep reliving Saturdays meeting in my mind: all those people, coming to us to learn Defence Against the Dark Arts ... and the looks on their faces as they had heard some of the things we've done - knowing all those people do not think of us as lying weirdos, but people to be admired, buoys me up so much that I'm still cheerful on Monday morning, despite the imminent prospect of all my least favourite classes.

As I adjust my tie around my neck in front of the mirror, I catch sight of Tay approaching me wearily, her own tie hanging loosely from her collar. 

"So," I say quietly, looking at her through the mirror, "are you going to tell me why you and Fred were ignoring each other like the plague on Saturday?"

She gives a sheepish shrug and joins me by the mirror. "I think we broke up, I don't know," she says, frowning. 

"Oh - "

"After I shouted at you and Harry for missing practice again, he got mad at me," she explains, not meeting my eye. "He told me that it wasn't right for me to be treating you like that, especially after everything that's happened...He was right."

"And you broke up?"

She shrugs again. "We haven't spoken since. Riley and Ash hang around with them sometimes and they never mention me, so I have no idea. Maybe it's better this way."

"I'm sorry."

"It doesn't matter, it was my fault," she says. "The twins' have this weird sort of loyalty to you and Harry, I should have known that they wouldn't stand by and let me treat you like that. Merlins beard, I'm an idiot. This is three times now that I've been a bitch to you, and this time it's cost me Fred and George."

"Hey, at least you've got Riley and Tessa now," I say quietly. 

"Yeah, you're right," she mutters. "I don't have to keep following you and Harry around like a lost puppy."

"Oh, shut up. It was more us dragging you into potentially life threatening situations," I say sarcastically. 

"Don't think you're stopping that now: I'm with you," she says seriously, nodding at me. "Just, don't get me killed, all right? Otherwise, I'll come back and haunt you."

"Sure thing. Shall we go upstairs."

"Yeah. And Haylee - " she says, stopping me from walking ahead. "Thanks."

I open my mouth to respond, but I'm cut off by a loud, wailing, klaxon-like sound coming from outside. Both confused, Tay and I rush outside, to find that the stairs leading up to our dormitory have turned into a slide. We slide down gleefully, laughing as we land inside the common room, where Ron, Harry, and Riley are all standing.