37. The Department of Mysteries

"When I was sixteen my senses fooled me, thought gasoline was on my clothes. I knew that something would always rule me. I knew this scent was mine alone" ~ Hozier, Arsonist's Lullaby

Umbridge leaves the office with her wand pointed at Harry and Hermione, ushering them onwards with a stern expression. The shock of almost having the Cruciatus Curse on me is still fresh, so much so that I feel frozen in place, leant against Umbridge's desk staring helplessly after Harry and Hermione. I suspect they're going to take Umbridge to see Grawp, but what they're planning on doing after that is beyond me. I only know that Hermione is working on nerve, and Harry, much like me, is at his wit's end. All I can see when I close my eyes is Sirius being tortured, and the trickle of blood from Dad's forehead, his glasses askew. We're running out of time

Beginning to snap out of my shocked state, I glance around the room looking for any possible escape routes; everything I think of requires a wand, which none of us currently have. I glance to Draco, knowing that Harry and I's wands are in his chest pocket...but how I can get them back without having to physically fight him. 

I remember Harry telling me how he boasted to Lucius Malfoy during his trial; yeah, we're good at escaping, he had said. Yet here I was, totally and utterly helpless. 

Behind me, I hear someone begin to fidget, and as I look over my shoulder I see Ron struggling to reach into his pockets despite Warrington's persistence to keep him away. "I just want some sweets," he says innocently. "I'm hungry."

"Sweets?" Crabbe pipes up greedily. 

For a brief moment, I'm beyond exasperated; rely on Ron to worry about getting some sweets in a situation like this. But when Ron reaches into his pocket, a smirk on his face, he brandishes a handful of Fred and George's Puking Pastilles. I make immediate eye contact with him, and judging by the mischievous glint in his eye, I'm not mistaken. He's a genius. 

"Bugger off," Warrington grunts, snatching the handful of 'lollies' out of Ron's hand. He begins to pass them around to his fellow Slytherins, and Ron gives another smirk. 

"If you wanted some, all you had to do was ask," he mumbles. I quickly look across to Draco; I don't want to put him in a bad position by having him simply give our wands back, but we need them back one way or another. I make eye contact with him and shake my head, hoping that he'll get the message and decide not to eat the sweets. Thankfully, he declines when they come to him, a puzzled look on his face. I look back at Ron, counting down the seconds until - 

Warrington starts retching, followed by every other Slytherin who consumed a Puking Pastille. Warrington shoves Ron forward, his face collides with the side of Umbridge's desk, and chaos ensues. I catch a glimpse of the large Slytherin girl detaining Ginny clawing at her face as the sweets reach their full effect, followed by Tay, Riley and Ash fighting for their wands by force. I see Crabbe's fist collide with Neville's eye, blood trickling from Ron's now spilt lip. Cries of Stupefy and Impedimenta fill the room, alongside the horrific smell of vomit which brings me back to reality. 

I feel a warm breath on my neck, and hands on my shoulders. "Stun me," Draco whispers, shoving three wands into my hand. He then stumbles backwards, as if I had shoved him away. He raises his wand and gives the smallest of nods. I speak a silent apology and raise my own wand. 

"Stupefy!" 

I turn away before the spell hits him, knowing that seeing it will only make me feel more guilty. Umbridge's office, now covered in vomit and stunned Slytherins, is eerily quiet for a brief, brief moment. 

"Come on," I say finally, striding towards the door. "I think I know where they've gone."

And we take off at a jog through the corridors, the smell of sick still thick in the air.