32. Snape's Worst Memory

"I'm a realist and an optimistic, but I swear to you I'm not getting over this" ~ All You Are is History, State Champs

BY ORDER OF THE MINISTRY OF MAGIC

Dolores Jane Umbridge (High Inquisitor) has replaced

Albus Dumbledore as Head of Hogwarts School of

Witchcraft and Wizardry.

The above is in accordance with Educational Decree Number Twenty-eight.

Signed: Cornelius Oswald Fudge, Minister for Magic

The notices all went up around the school overnight, but they do not explain how every single person within the castle seems to know that Dumbledore had overcome two Aurors, the High Inquisitor, the Minister for Magic and his Junior Assistant to escape. No matter where Harry and I go within the castle, the sole topic of conversation is Dumbledore's flight, and though some of the details may have gone awry in the retelling (I overheard one second-year girl assuring another that Fudge is now lying in St. Mungo's with a pumpkin for a head) it is surprising how accurate the rest of their information is. Everybody knows, for instance, that Harry, Marietta, and I were the only students to have witnessed the scene in Dumbledore's office and, as Marietta is now in the hospital wing, Harry and I find ourselves besieged with requests to give first-hand accounts. 

"Dumbledore will be back before long," says Ernie Macmillan confidently on the way back from Herbology, after listening intently to our story. "They couldn't keep him away in our second year and they won't be able to this time. The Fat Friar told me--" he drops his voice conspiratorially so that we have to lean closer to him to hear "--that Umbridge tried to get back into his office last night after they'd searched the castle and grounds for him. Couldn't get past the gargoyle. The Head's office has sealed itself against her." Ernie smirks. "Apparently, she had a right little tantrum."

"It's like Hogwarts is fighting back again," Tessa says thoughtfully, looping her hand with Riley's. "I wonder what lengths it's willing to go?"

"Umbridge managed to get around the castle's defences before," Tay says pessimistically. "What's stopping her this time? But still, that would have been a good laugh."

"Oh, I expect she really fancied herself sitting up there in the Head's office," says Hermione viciously, as we walk up the stone steps into the Entrance Hall. "Lording it over all the other teachers, the stupid puffed-up, power-crazy old--"

"Now, do you really want to finish that sentence, Granger?"

Draco has slid out from behind the door, closely followed by Crabbe and Goyle. His pale, pointed face is alight with malice. Tessa links her arm in mine and begins trying to pull me onwards, with Riley still situated protectively on her other side. 

"New head, new rules," she whispers. "I'm sure you're not going to want to see whatever happens next." We continue towards the Great Hall, and I begin to grow anxious about the possibility of Draco and Harry getting physical again. 

"I don't understand. He knows how much I hate it when he does this."

"Yes,  he does, and I don't doubt he feels guilty about it," Tessa explains. "But you must remember, he has a reputation to keep up. Between Umbridge and his father, he has about a thousand different people telling him how to act. Don't be too harsh on him, all right?"

And with that, she pecks Riley on the cheek and heads towards the Slytherin table. However, I can barely take one step towards the Gryffindor table before Filch is at my side, grinning wickedly. 

"Headmistress wants to see you, Potter."

"Why?" I ask defiantly. 

He frowns at me. "Things are changing around here, Potter, and I won't have you asking questions anymore. Go to the headmistress' office while I look for that brother of yours."
And he sets off again, muttering what I presume to be profanities under his breath.