Chasing Neverland Prologue

This is an older work, and unedited. *WARNING: If you're reading Chasing Neverland on teenfic.net or anywhere other than Wattpad, then the website you are on has stolen this manuscript from me and you are likely at risk of a malware attack. PLEASE REPORT! If you wish to read my story in its original, safe form, please go to Wattpad where you can find it (along with millions of others) for FREE.*

This story was my very first attempt at creative writing and since it's been written I believe I have grown as a writer. Sometime in the future, Chasing Neverland will be undergoing a rewrite. I'll remove the chapters one by one in order to revise them, so in case they disappear that is what's going on. Thank you for understanding!

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.
D.S. Jamison © Copyright 2014. All Rights Reserved.

____________________

Prologue

George opened his eyes in a blur. Who had been speaking to him? He knew he'd heard someone talking, but where had they gone? He rubbed his eyes, trying to see past the sudden glow that surrounded him. The rays pricked warmly against his skin, a welcome change after the icy winter.

"George, over here!" the voice called again. Its musical quality rang out with authority.

Slowly, a figure took shape in front of him. It was a boy with flowing blonde, not much older than himself. The sun dancing in the background cloaked him in light. George took a step closer to get a better look.

The stranger greeted him with the most magnificent smile George had seen in all his fourteen years. It was a spellbinding moment. The kind of moment that clings to the layers of your memory, refusing to let go.

"Who are you?" George asked in a small voice.

"My name's Pete." He gave George a crooked grin, his emerald eyes shining with unspoken adventure. "Do you like to play games? Betcha can't catch me!"

Before George could answer, Pete took off running, the sound of his laughter making it impossible not to follow. What was it about this stranger that felt so compelling? It was unlike him to take off without his mother's permission, but he just couldn't stop himself!

"George," Pete called again happily. "This way!"

Unbridled excitement surged through his veins. George pushed himself to run faster ... faster ... until finally he caught up with his new friend. Together, the boys raced over hills and pastures blanketed in snow, hopping over drifts and laughing the kind of carefree laughter only children knew. George had enjoyed these fields many times before, but for some reason they seemed different today, almost magical, as if he were seeing them for the first time.

Finally, Pete began to slow. "Have you ever wondered what it would be like to fly?" he questioned pensively, not even winded after their spontaneous sprint.

Trying to catch his own breath, George thought back to a dream he'd once had where he had been flying.

In his dream he started to run, and the faster he ran the higher his feet lifted from the ground. It was the most extraordinary feeling! He remembered flying high above the rooftops and over the trees. He'd never felt so free!