Chapter Two

Chapter Two

"Well, looky here," the boisterous blonde announced. "We've got ourselves a newbie!"

Evelyn Jarvis was a seventeen-year-old spitfire, and lucky for Wendy, a true mother hen. She welcomed Wendy into the group with a great big hug. "And aren't you a lucky girl because this happens to be the winning team," Evelyn grinned, giving Wendy a warm wink.

Introducing Wendy to as many people as possible those first days at the hospital had made her feel as welcome as coming home. Wendy knew she wouldn't have adjusted nearly as well if it hadn't been for Evelyn's optimism and constant nurturing. The two girls spent one roller coaster of a month together at "camp" (as they liked to call it) last November, and had been best friends ever since. Evelyn was a trooper, in more ways than one, and was also Wendy's rock on several occasions. Evelyn lived in a neighboring state, so the friends did not get to see each other as often as they had liked, but they kept in touch regularly with phone calls, texting and video messages. Thank God for technology!

Evelyn had happily taken Wendy under her wing, and taught her the ins and outs of hospital living. For instance, the secrets to getting along with some of the crankier nurses, how to go about getting an extra ice cream from the nursing assistants, and the invaluable advice of finding your "happy place" during the more uncomfortable procedures. Life would have been unbearable if it hadn't been for Evelyn. She had earned a special place in Wendy's frightened heart, and had quickly become one of the most important people in her world.

Of course, Wendy's parents were never far, but there were some things that she just didn't feel like she should share with them, for fear of scaring them even more than they already were. Evelyn was her confident and Wendy had come to rely heavily on her.

"You've got this, girl," was Evelyn's catch phrase, and she made Wendy feel as if she really did have some control over her uncontrollable situation.

* * * * * * * * * *

Wendy thought back on those days often, reminiscing over the vast emotions she had felt. It was unbelievable how far she had come since then, not that it was easy, mind you. And making the drive back to Woodland Children's Hospital always stirred up strong emotions and memories, some intensely sweet and others down right horrifying. But it was unavoidable.

Watching her parents from the back seat of the car, Wendy felt a whisper of regret. She knew this trip was difficult on them; it was written all over their faces, and she was completely helpless to the outcome. Only time will tell, she sighed. Meanwhile, everyone tried to put on a brave face and pretend like they weren't thinking the unspeakable thoughts floating around in their heads.

Last time they made this drive, there had been fluffy mounds of white snow on the ground, but this time was much different. April flowers were beginning to bloom amongst the green grass, and she could just make out buds on the trees.

That first trip back in November had been so somber. Everything outside was dying...the leaves, the flowers, the grass...and their hopes and dreams for a happy future...although no one would actually admit to that one. Negativity was a taboo subject in the Darling Household, and Wendy made sure that she stayed far away from it, especially in front of her parents. She had to be strong for them.

As the hospital campus came into view, Wendy held her breath. She was always taken aback by the immenseness of the institution and of all the stories taking place inside. She knew her circumstance was no more special than any other child's, and that always made her feel a special closeness to all of the patients seeking treatment, no matter their age, no matter their illness. To Wendy, they were all connected and woven together with their struggles and triumphs.