Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

With the exception of one very bizarre dream, Wendy had slept fairly well overnight. When she awoke, she didn't feel nearly as foggy headed as she had the day before.

"Nooo," she groaned, remembering the events that had taken place. The feeling that someone was in her room, the lily on her bed, the breakdown...

Oh, God... The breakdown! What had she done? As memories came flooding back to her, she felt her face grow warm.

How was she going to convince her family, or herself for that matter, that she wasn't losing her mind? She glanced around, looking for the white lily, but it was nowhere to be found.

"What the..." she grumbled, confused. Slowly, she crawled out of bed and made her way around the room.

Wendy found her wig lying neatly on her dresser, combed and ready for her to put on. "Mom..." she sighed. What she must have put her through. What she put them all through! Embarrassed by her actions, she wasn't sure how to make things right. She wasn't even sure she wanted to face her family after the scene she had caused.

"They'll understand. They've got to understand," Wendy whispered to herself. The thought of facing them horrified her, but she knew she had to. And the sooner the better.

She freshened up, then put her wig on before making her way downstairs.

The kitchen was quiet and when she looked at the clock she saw it was a quarter past ten in the morning. Everyone had already started their day and she had slept right through it!

Making her way through the empty house, she reached her mother's study. She peeked in and saw both of her parents, her mom at the computer and her dad on the phone.

"Hi," she offered meekly, wandering into the room.

"Wendy, honey..." her mom smiled and got up from the computer, "How are you? We've been so worried."

Her dad excused himself from his phone call and walked over to hug Wendy.

"I'm fine, you guys," Wendy confessed. "I'm so sorry about yesterday. I don't know what came over me."

"It's okay," her dad sighed and kissed the top of her head. "As long as you are alright, that's all that matters to us."

"I didn't mean to worry you," Wendy declared.

"Honey, we know you didn't. We would never blame you for what happened," her mother reassured her. "We just need to make sure you're okay, and we do need to talk about it."

"Are you feeling up for a talk, Wendy?" her dad asked.

She nodded and they walked her over to the sectional and sat down.

"You said that Evelyn was here," her mother began.

Wendy took a deep breath. While she really believed Evelyn had been there, she wasn't about to admit it to her parents. They were already overly worried about her mental state. Confiding in them about her best friend making appearances from beyond the grave didn't seem like an idea that would work in her favor.

"I guess I had fallen asleep and had a dream. It was pretty realistic and when I woke up, I believed it was true. I thought Evelyn was here, but now I realize it was only a dream," she assured and hoped it was convincing. Apparently, it was.

"We spoke to the doctor and he wants you to have some lab work drawn. It will tell us if the medication doses are too high, causing the dreams you have been having lately," her dad explained. "Given the circumstances, the lab made arrangements to have someone come to the house to draw."