Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

"Wendy," her dad called, poking his head into her bedroom. "Someone's here to draw your labs."

Stirring in her bed she looked up at her father with a frown on her face.

Was she was still in her bed?

Of course I am! Where did you expect to be? It was just a dream, Wendy, she mentally scolded herself. 

She sat up and put her palms to her cheeks. She could swear her face was still chilly from the impromptu flight over the lake.

"Do you feel alright, honey?" her dad asked, concerned.

Wendy had almost forgotten he was still standing there.

"I'm fine, Dad. Really, it's nothing. I'll be down in a minute," she answered back, encouraging him to leave so she could get a grip on the situation.

What an awesome dream, Wendy smiled to herself when he left the room. It seemed so real! She felt like she had just gone on a real life adventure.

How pathetic! Am I so hard up for fun that I've invented an imaginary friend?

She hadn't had one of those since she was four years old, and even then it wasn't a flying boy! As a child, she had had a fascination with a story her mother would tell her about a little girl who sold matches in the streets to help earn money for her poor family. It wasn't a happy story. The girl had been mistreated and eventually she had died. Wendy had felt sorry for the fictitious child and had imagined the girl living with her, happy and loved.

Eventually her imaginary friend faded away, like so many childhood games often do.

This is different, Wendy observed.

She had always known that the little girl was imaginary, and the thought of her had stemmed from Wendy's desire for a happy ending to the story. Dreaming of Pete was not at all similar. She had felt the cool air hit her face as they flew through the sky! She could feel her hand in Pete's, and she smelled the scent of the crisp autumn air.

Wendy didn't think that dreaming of Pete was a bad thing. It was the most fun she had had in a long while, as a matter of fact. But she was aware that the dreams were most likely caused by her medications, and someone from the lab needed to draw her blood so the doctors could find out.

"Shoot!" she exclaimed, remembering they were downstairs waiting for her at this very moment. She quickly got out of bed and adjusted her wig.

The phlebotomist was already set up in the kitchen when she walked in.

"Hey, sleepy head," her mom smiled. "This is Liz; she's going to draw your blood."

"Hello, Wendy. It's nice to meet you," greeted Liz with a warm smile.

Wendy acknowledged her back and sat down in the chair her dad had pulled out for her.

"You've had your blood drawn before, I'm assuming?" she asked politely.

"Yes, many times," Wendy answered, pulling up her sleeve.

"Alright then, let's get started. I'm going to clean your arm then wrap this tourniquet around you tightly and take a few vials of blood. This will just take a minute. Are you ready?"

Wendy nodded her head and waited for the sharp prick. She had had more needles inside of her this past year that she had lost count. Still, she had never quite gotten used to it. Turning her head away she tightly squeezed her eyes shut.

"All done," Liz announced after a minute.

"Wow... That was really quick!" Wendy sighed with relief.

"Good...I'm glad you think so. I pride myself on being quick and efficient," she chuckled, and began cleaning up her instruments.

While her parents made small talk with Liz in the kitchen, Wendy retreated to the privacy of the family room. She was still overwhelmed with her latest dream, and wanted to think about it some more in peace and quiet.

She curled up on the couch and thought of Pete. She could feel herself smile at the thought of him holding her hand.

What are you thinking? She accused herself disbelievingly. You were just flying over the lake...which is impossible, by the way...but you're thinking of Pete holding your hand??? He's a dream boy! She quietly laughed at herself.

Wendy felt a blush color her cheeks. Shaking her head, she tried to focus on the autumn trees she had flown over and the waves of the lake. She felt so silly obsessing over a dream boy!

After a few minutes, Wendy's parents walked into the family room.

"We should have the blood count back in a few days," her mom said, "In the meantime, we need to continue the doses that you've been taking until we're told otherwise."

Wendy took a deep breath. She hadn't realized until now, but changing her medicine could result in no more dreams, and the thought did not appeal to her. As crazy as it sounded, she was enjoying dreaming about Pete. His arrogance aggravated her at times, but she didn't want to say goodbye. Besides, he promised to take me flying again, the thought made her smile.

"What's so funny?" her dad asked.

"Nothing's funny," Wendy affirmed, embarrassed. She hadn't realized she had been smiling.

"Well, wha-" he began, but the boys walked into the family room, interrupting his next question.

"What's going on?" John asked, "We saw some lady leaving the house."

"She was here to draw Wendy's labs," her mom explained. "The doctors are thinking that maybe her medication doses are too high and that's what's causing her nightmares."

"They're not nightmares, Mom," Wendy argued.

"I'm sorry...her dreams," she corrected herself and looked at Wendy with a surprised frown.

Wendy didn't want to raise any more suspicion, but she wanted to make it clear that these were not bad dreams. She wasn't sure why, but she felt defensive of Pete. She realized that she really wanted to dream about him again.

"What's for dinner tonight, Mom?" Michael asked. "I'm starving!"

"Of course you are," she smiled at him and ruffled his hair. "I'm not in a cooking mood so I thought maybe we could order pizza."

"YES!" the boys exclaimed in unison. What was it about pizza that made everyone so excited?

"Are you hungry for pizza, Wendy?" her Dad asked, looking for the pizza coupons.

"Sure, I'll have a slice," she smiled.

 The sooner she ate, the sooner she could get to bed.

I think Wendy might be warming up to Pete - what do you think?

If you have enjoyed this chapter, I ask that you kindly consider leaving me a vote/comment. Thank you so much for reading!