Chapter Fifteen

Pete stood so close that Wendy could feel the warmth radiating from his very being. She basked in his quiet, unending glow. The brilliance that emitted from him, she'd always known was there, but today it was different. Today, Pete was absolutely luminous.

"Pete...?" Wendy asked earnestly as they stood near the open window. "How do you feel about me?"

Pete took a long moment before answering, "I am devoted to you, Wendy. I always will be."

A content smile covered her face. She wasn't sure what answer she'd been hoping to hear, but this suited her just fine for now.

"So, are you ready to start your next big adventure?" he asked with a grin.

Wendy nodded her head.

"I know a certain someone who is waiting to see you," Pete added mysteriously.

Evelyn...

"I'm ready," Wendy answered with a smile. She had no idea what destiny would be waiting for her on the other side, but she was ready to embrace it and all of its glory. As long as Pete was by her side, holding her hand.

The Neverlands...

And with that, Pete grasped Wendy's hand in his own and gazed reassuringly into the depths of her dark, brown eyes. Together, they leaped from the window. An aureate light illuminated the way, and Pete and Wendy followed obediently.

Wendy turned, taking one last look behind her.

*"Don't say goodbye," Pete suggested softly. "Because goodbye means going away, and going away means forgetting. Even after you let go, the past is still a part of who you are. It always will be."

She glanced over at Pete, all of the wonderful memories she had made over the past sixteen years flooding her mind.

Her family... Her friends...

Was she making the right decision? Yes, she knew she was. Wendy was ready to let go and never again feel the pain and sickness that had plagued her for so long. She was ready to be happy and free. She was ready to never grow old.

She finally understood the role Pete had played in helping her transition and she smiled in submission, grateful that he was by her side, acting as her own personal guardian angel.

Wendy allowed herself a peaceful sigh as the light welcomed them in.

It was time for her to move on.

*"Death is but the next great adventure." - J.M. Barrie (Author of the original Peter Pan)

THE END

Hello, and thank you for reading Chasing Neverland! If you liked this story, I ask you to please hit that star!

I just want you to know that I appreciate all of your reads, suggestions, compliments and votes. This was my very first attempt at creative writing and your help was very much appreciated! You made this an amazing experience for me and I will forever be grateful. From the bottom of my heart...THANK YOU!!!

* My story, Strawberry Wine, is the winner of The Write Affair writing contest sponsored by Wattpad and Kensington Publishing and is available for preorder on Amazon! I would LOVE it if you would kindly support me by checking it out! <3

https://www.amazon.com/Strawberry-Wine-Darly-Jamison/dp/1420141643

*J.M. Barrie quote from original Peter Pan