Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Wendy struggled to get through the next day. All she could think of was Pete, The Neverlands, hungry lions and beautiful mermaids - her head was swimming with so many thoughts! She couldn't wait to see Pete again and was looking forward to sleep.

To help pass the time, Wendy decided to work on her mural, and as it turned out, her recent dreams were an inspiration to her painting. She found herself drawing many colorful scenes from The Neverlands. She painted the mountains and the woods, with their picturesque trees and unique flowers. She created the vibrant blue bay, full of mermaids and elaborate ships. She drew the lion, with its enormous mane of hair and hungry amber eyes. And she painted herself with Pete, flying hand in hand, high in the sky amongst the clouds and birds.

She took her time painting Pete. She wanted to get him just right, with his sandy, tousled hair and emerald green eyes. Standing back, she carefully examined her creation and decided she was happy with the results. She had perfectly captured Pete's charming smile and the twinkle in his eye. Wendy observed how she had painted herself. She looked gloriously happy, happier then she had been in such a long time.

Thank you so very much, Pete, she smiled.

Wendy gave credit to Pete for lifting her from the deep depression she had felt herself slowly sinking into. Without his consistent appearances, she was not sure where she would be right now, or how hopeless she would be feeling. Before Pete, she didn't have anything to look forward to. But now...she felt like she did. It was hard to believe that Pete was just a dream. He felt so real!

But that is what he is, she sadly reminded herself. Just a fantasy.

She found herself thinking of Evelyn and wishing that she was there to talk to. She would have been able to help her work through her dreams and feelings. And she would have known how to make sense of Pete.

Wendy didn't believe she could talk to anyone else about what was happening to her. She knew that telling her parents or the doctors would result in a one way ticket to an insane asylum. And even though she had always confided in her brother John, she didn't want to share this with him, for fear of scaring him.

I just have to keep it to myself, she sighed.

Unless...she spoke with Pete about it. After all, her subconscious had made him up, so he wouldn't judge her, and most importantly, he wouldn't be able to tell anyone.

That's it! That's what she would do. She would speak with Pete. If nothing else, it might help her find some perspective. Satisfied with her decision, she cleaned up her painting supplies and went downstairs. She knew her family would get restless if she didn't make an appearance soon, so she figured she'd better visit for awhile before dinner.

Wendy was thankful her family gave her plenty of space. Having time to think in private felt therapeutic to her, and she was grateful they didn't hover too much. But they were her family, and she enjoyed hanging out with them, so she was pleased to have found them playing Monopoly at the kitchen table.

"Hey, kiddo! Whatcha been up to?" her dad asked when she entered the room.

Wendy cleared a tickle from her throat, "Just working on my mural."

Her mom smiled, "How's it coming, honey?"

"It's coming. I really like the new paints that you got for me. Thank you," Wendy responded and sat down to join them.

"We're just starting another game," Michael piped in, "Wanna play? You can be the dog..." he offered, knowing that Wendy always liked to play with the Scottish dog token.