Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Wendy was beside herself with confusion. How could Pete have left the flower on my pillow if it was just a dream? Was he the one who left the lily for me a few days ago... The one I thought was a gift from Evelyn?

The questions silently plagued her all through Saturday morning breakfast.

"Wendy, are you feeling alright?" her mom asked, concerned. "You look a little flushed."

"I'm fine, Mom," Wendy coughed, distracted by her bewildering thoughts.

Mrs. Darling walked over to Wendy and put the back of her hand to Wendy's forehead.

"You're burning up," she announced. "I'm taking your temperature."

Mrs. Darling busied herself, searching for the thermometer when Wendy's father walked into the room, a serious look shadowing his face.

"I just received a phone call from Dr. Grant. The blood tests results have come back. Wendy's neutrophil count has dropped dramatically. He wants us to take her to the local hospital right away. They will decide from there if they will transfer her to Woodland Children's Hospital."

Mr. Darling watched the scene unfolding in front of him, realizing that something was very wrong.

"What's going on?" he asked, looking at Wendy, and then Mrs. Darling.

"She feels warm, I'm going to take her temperature."

He walked to Wendy and gently touched her cheek, "You do feel warm, honey. How do you feel?"

"I feel fine," Wendy responded, mustering up a tired smile.

The truth was, she didn't feel fine. She felt warm and dizzy, confused and afraid. Her chest felt tight and it was difficult to gather a full breath. And she was worried... Not only because of her apparent fever and blood count, but because her latest dream of Pete had left behind a remnant on her pillow.

What's going on with me? she worried.

Mrs. Darling held the tympanic thermometer to Wendy's ear, "103.3," her mom exclaimed. "Let's get dressed and head to the hospital," she said to Wendy, trying to keep the fear from her voice.

Wendy left the room to change out of her pajamas and her parents called the boys to fill them in on what was going on.

"The doctor wants us to bring Wendy to the hospital right away," Mr. Darling explained.

"Why?" John asked. "Is it serious?"

"Well, it can be. Your neutrophils are white blood cells that help your body fight infection. When the count drops, it means that you do not have as many cells as your body needs for them to do their job properly. It means that Wendy is susceptible to infection right now, and that could make her very sick."

"Do we need to take her to the hospital for kids? The one that is far away?" asked Michael.

"No, we are going to the hospital closest to us. The doctors there will decide what to do," his father said, ruffling his hair to help ease the tense mood.

"Wendy," her mom called up the stairs urgently. "Don't bother packing, we'll come back later to grab your things. Let's just get going, honey. We need to get you there so they can figure out what is going on. They need to get some antibiotics started."

Mrs. Darling was normally a very calming presence, and to see her anxious made the boys visibly nervous.

"It's alright, boys," Mr. Darling reassured them. "Everything will be fine."