12; koi no yokan

"koi no yokan"

— 

(noun) A  koi no yokan is the instinctual knowledge that you are destined to fall in love with someone you've just met. It is not quite love at first sight, but it is the recognition that a future love is inevitable. 

   ❄❄❄❄     

I sit on the edge of my chair in anticipation. "Is it a yes? Or is it a no?" I instantly want to know. 

Zach lets out a low chuckle. "Easy, flower. Tell me, why do you so desperately need that money for?" he asks me this question yet again. The question I really can't answer. 

My God, what would Zach think if he knew about it? And the reason behind it? That's not something I'm willing to share. It's too much, too soon. But I can give him another reason that's also true. It's partly the truth, but it still counts. "I need it to continue with my professional skating." 

Zach looks stunned for a moment. "So, what you're saying is ... you need $200,000 to continue with your career?" 

I want to snort. Career? What career? But all I say is, "Yes. That's it." 

Zach smiles in thought. "You've got a really pricey trainer there." 

Yeah. You have no idea, Zach ... "Well, she's one of the best. I wouldn't expect anything less." I shrug as if the thought doesn't even bother me. 

"Alright, Analeigh. I'll make a deal with you." I'm almost lying on the table now, trying to get as close to him to make sure I don't miss any word. "I will give you the money." I hold my breath because by the way he's looking at me, I know something else is coming. "I have one condition, though." I eagerly nod, encouraging him to talk faster. Zach is clearly doing this on purpose, making the tension grow inside of me. He knows how impatient I am about this matter.

"I want you to spend one night with me."

When his words sink in, I slightly shift back, away from him, staring at him in wonder if I heard him correctly. How predictable. Or not. I should've somehow expected this. He's a guy, after all, and most of them are just pigs. I don't know why would Zach be any different. The richer they are, the uglier is their personality. What a sad truth.

Maybe the reason as to why I didn't expect this is because I didn't think Zach is capable of making such an indecent proposal to me. Guys aren't usually running after me. Especially not with 200,000 dollars in hands. 

I look at Zach who still has a casual, relaxed smile on his face, probably thinking he just got himself a deal. Does he really think so lowly of me? "I'm not for sale, Zach Crawford. I'm not willing to sell myself. Not even for 200,000 dollars," I tell him firmly, already feeling how the money is slipping away from me, even though I didn't even touch it yet. And I already ruined it. 

Zach looks at me in question before he realises what I meant and his eyes widen. "No, Analeigh. God, no, I didn't mean it like that!" he rushes to explain, his voice getting higher. 

I stare at him, still thrown off from his suggestion. "Oh?" I reply, wondering what he truly meant with his comment. He surely has to know how wrong it came out. Or how right. Whichever way you look at it.

"I didn't mean for you to spend the night in my bed. Although ..." Zach quickly shuts up when I give him a stern look. "I meant you hanging out with me. For one whole night."