30; ingénue

"ingénue"

— 

(æn ʒəˌnu, noun) Categorised as one of the most in the English language with French origins, ingénue is defined as a naive young woman, who possess an artless and innocent charm. It is usually used to describe a novice with immense talent in the arts. 

❄️❄️❄️❄️

On the day of my ice skating competition, I'm a nervous wreck. It's after New Year, in January. I've spent my holidays with Zach and Miles. I wasn't really in the mood to celebrate them, but both men in my life insisted and we had a good time, nothing too extravagant. I also met some of Zach's teammates when they came to visit, some with families, some only with girlfriends or just girls they're seeing, others alone. 

 I'm shaking, tapping my foot on the car floor, twisting my hands in my lap and constantly shifting. Zach couldn't come with me since I'm riding to the arena where the championship is held in with Sofia and Gilbert, as it's the protocol.

We've been texting it each other the whole morning, though. We already went to the hotel near the arena two days ago so we can prepare and get the feel of how it looks. 

Sofia has been relentless with us, constantly pushing us both as hard as it was possible, making no room for any mistakes. 

Zach came with me to stay at the hotel and Miles is coming to the competition tonight. I'm a nervous wreck because I've never done this before and I have no idea what's going to happen and if I'm really ready for this. 

I want Zach to be here with me, to hold my hand and encourage me as only he knows how to. But I have to settle for Gilbert. His wife is also staying at the same hotel with him, supporting him. 

It's so unreal how my life seems to be falling into the right path. I've found myself a man I love very deeply and I'm on my way to the competition, which has always been my biggest dream. 

My phone starts vibrating in my hand and I look down to see Zach's name. There's an instant smile on my face. "Hi," I greet him happily.

"Hey, beautiful. How are things?" 

I exhale as I look around the car. Sofia and Gilbert are talking to each, both of them look really relaxed and unbothered by the whole thing while I'm a nervous mess. "Good. I'm nervous. We're still driving to the arena for rehearsals." 

Zach hums. "I'm afraid we won't be able to talk today so I made sure I talk to you before you get on the ice to wish you luck. Although you don't really need it, you're a natural and you're going to rock this."

My chest expands at his words and I let out a small chuckle. "Thanks, Zach." 

"Just one more thing, I'm proud of you, if you win tonight or not. You should be, too. You've worked really hard for this. In my mind, you're already the winner, you know."

I want to cry at how sweet he is. "Zach," I chide. "Stop being so cute."

Zach chuckles. "I'm just being real, flower."

"But I really want to win," I whisper, hoping, praying that my dreams come true. 

I hear Zach exhale. "You will, Analeigh. Just do your best. I've seen you on the ice, this is going to be a piece of cake for you."

I let out a laugh. "Yeah, I wish." I purse my lips and look out of the window to see we're driving in the parking lot in front of the arena now. I sit up a bit straighter. "Hey, we just came here so I have to go," I tell Zach. "I -" I clamp my mouth shut. "I'll see you later," I mumble out before I could say anything more ... prominent. The words were just on the tip of my tongue, but this is not the time or place to say them.