alt. ending (sad ending)

" finding happiness "

  ⊲⊳  

it had been a year since she had moved away from her hometown and started life anew. 

a year since she had cut off all ties with jungkook.

she had gotten a part time job at a bakery near her university to earn a little extra cash for herself; not like she went out much. she dubbed herself as a newfound bookworm, never once liking books or studying back in high school, but now finding it as the only thing she could do in college.  

she cooped herself up in her room and studied her life away. sometimes she would find herself glancing at her phone out of habit-- out of the inner hope that jungkook would have sent her a message.

it seems like he had taken her advice and had stopped trying to contact her. 

she was in no position to complain about him not contacting her. in fact, it was what she wanted. she wanted him to completely forget about her and move on with his life.

a life without her.

she sighed, throwing her pen on her desk, turning off the desk light, and falling onto her bed.

she put her glasses on her nightstand and closed her eyes.

but why did she feel so empty without him?

    ⊲⊳    

"welcome!" a voice resounded through the building of the bakery. 

dayeon stepped out of the twin doors of the kitchen to restack the shelves with freshly baked goods. 

with her back facing the front door, she began to restock the red bean bun shelf with freshly packaged pastries until she heard the same voice again.

"welcome! how may i help you?" the employee asked. 

"hi, um, i'll order one slice of chocolate cake, and one slice of strawberry."

dayeon froze, dropping the wrapped red bean bun on the floor. 

it can't be...

"do you want anything to drink?" the familiar voice said in a quieter tone.

"no, i'm fine," a feminine voice responded.

dayeon willed herself to turn around, her eyes meeting that once familiar broad back of his.

but this time, his hand was wrapped around another girl's hand.

"here is your order, sir!" the cashier said. dayeon watched as he took the tray with one hand, still keeping the other wrapped firmly around the girl's hand.

she watches the couple take a seat at an empty booth at the far end of the establishment.

her heart hurts as she makes her way back into the kitchen with an empty tray of buns. 

i see he's moved on.

"dayeon! could you distribute these to the tables?" before she could agree, a tray of individually plated cake pops was shoved into her hands. "we're trying this new thing-- complementary desserts!" 

dayeon tilted her head. "won't we lose revenue if we do this?"

"slightly-- but we'll get more customers!" her manager said.

"okay, okay," she said, "whatever you say."

she exited the kitchen and went table to table, passing out a plate with the same phrase "here is our new promotion!" 

but when she approached jungkook's table, she took a deep breath before placing the plate in between the two of them.

"here is our new promotion," she said, smiling at the both of them, but avoiding eye contact.

she noticed jungkook's shock but did her best to ignore it. 

"thank you," his acquaintance said. "they look delicious."

"enjoy!" she said before quickly moving to another table.

"are you okay?" dayeon heard her ask jungkook.

"ah, yeah." he said. 

"do you know her? you seemed like you did."

her heart hurt at his next words.

"no. she's just a stranger."