Whole Again

Captain Picard lay still as I gripped his hand, staring at his face, looking for the slightest motion. I buried my head deep in my other hand and started to cry. I really liked Picard's character, and now he's gone. I cried harder then ever.

"Jean-Luc?" I said into the empty Sick Bay. "Can you hear me? If you can, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for punching you, for being here, for distracting Q, for everything. I'm sorry I even met you, because then I wouldn't be so sad and you might wake up from whatever you're in. Beverly said that you were okay physically, except for abnormal brain waves. You just won't wake up, so I'm mad about that." I looked at his face. Nothing.

"Oh, Picard! Wake up, stop pretending and go defeat Q and all the other things you do," I whisper-screamed. I put my head down again and then back up. I saw it.

His face twitched.

"Picard? Are you there?" I asked, breathing heavy.

"Janie?" he whispered, and I tapped my newly acquired com-badge.

"Beverly! Oh sorry, Dr. Crusher!" I said, my face split open with a huge grin.

"It's okay. What is it?" she said.

"Captain Picard is waking up! I don't know how he is though," I said, and then I looked at his face. His eyes were still closed, but his face widened with a slight grin. I realized I was suffocating his hand.

"Sorry!" I screamed, then cupped the hand that held his over my mouth. I didn't realize how loud that came out. "What happened?"

"A lot of things, best told at another time," he said, opening his eyes. He laughed when I frowned. 

"Why?"

"Q told me things that I only needed to hear, or wanted to. I didn't like what he said or did, but that doesn't mean it has to go public, do you understand? Have you learned that lesson?" he said, sitting up slowly as Beverly came into the room.

"Yes," I said.

"You seem fine," said Beverly, holding a medical Triquarter over him. "Your brain waves have leveled out themselves."

I looked at him and smiled a proud smile. "You look like you've seen better days."

He shrugged then we both laughed, then frowned again when something appeared in the corner, no, someone.

"Hello, Jean-Luc Picard," said Q. He leaned against the wall and looked smugly at Picard.

"Go away, Q," said Picard. I looked at him in surprise. His sudden tone of force caught me off guard.

"Ah, well, goodbye." Then Q disappeared with no trace. Not even bumps in the carpet.

Just then, Geordi came in, with Deanna.

"I wanted to come in to make sure you were alright," said Deanna. Beverly stepped aside from giving Picard something and Deanna sat in the chair where I sat a few minutes ago. "Do you feel like the event that happened effected you traumatically?"

"No, it was a, good lesson," he said, and he winked at me and I him. I really liked Picard, he was funny and a fatherly sort of figure.

Just then, Geordi stepped up to me.

"Janie!" he said. "I found out a way to get you home!"