Unauthorized

"The procedures aren't working like they're supposed to." I was startled awake by a woman's voice. I was still on the floor of the padded room. I felt like I was in an asylum.

"Isn't she all well?" asked a man's voice. He was older than the woman. They were outside the door of the room.

"Yes, but we wanted to test-"

"No. She's having seizures because of the 'treatment' you gave her. She's fine, let her go back to the Enterprise," he interrupted.

"Okay." The door slid open and the woman stood there. She watched as the man walked down the hallway, almost waiting for him to leave and be out of sight. "Time for another surgery!" She sounded happy.

"I want...one...call to Captain...Picard," I croaked. My voice was hoarse and I was too tired to move from my position on the floor.

"Okay honey," she chirped. Then she handed me a long-distance com-badge. Her name was Myra. She had told me before the men put me in this room. Before the "procedures". I pressed the cold com-badge.

"Janie to Picard," I said.

"Yes?" his voice sounded tired and uneven. I think he had been staying up. It occurred to me that maybe the entire crew was waiting, and when I got back I would be okay. They would have a big party and...oh boy. I was scared stiff and I didn't know how to deal with it.

"Where are you?" I asked, my voice still like a donkey ate a cat and scratched up the sound a bit.

"We've been waiting in a nearby star system to come and get you," said Picard. I heard other sounds, like him getting up from his chair.

"They're doing things to me here," I cried. Tears ran down my face once again and I hugged my knees. Things were so strange and my white hospital gown had some blood on it and I felt sick and I couldn't see straight. I was a mess.

"What do you mean?" his voice sounded angry and I jumped at his sudden harshness.

"Unauthorized procedures."

"What's happening?" he practically yelled. I jumped again.

"I just had a seizure, and the doctors said to stop the surgeries."

"We'll get you out of there!" said Picard. "What in the name is Star Base 4710 doing?"

"Track my com-badge and beam me aboard when you get close. Report nurse Myra Clerk to the Federation for unauthorized procedures and surgeries," I said. My face was determined now, I wouldn't be a victim.

"Okay. We will get you out of there Janie."

"Hurry, the nurse is coming back. They said they were going to do another surgery..."

"Picard out."

"Janie as well," I said after he hung up. I looked up at the door at the same men stood there with a blue hospital gown in their hands.

"Put this on," one of them said. The other tossed me the gown. They closed the door and I slipped the com-badge into my underwear. I put on the gown and knocked on the door. It slid open and the men held me as we went down a long hallway. They set me on an operation table in another room.

Surviving was becoming a "thing" now.