e p i l o g u e

tu es un nénuphar

you question as to why i call you nénuphar,
yet understand it means water lily in french.
you don't want to be called that, because you deem it as feminine. that girls like flowers, water lilies.

[but i know you adore amaryllises]

i do not call you this
to suggest you're "feminine" -

honestly your reason along with your pouted lips and rapid shake of the head made me want to laugh openly; but i didn't, because you would of turned away and threatened that i'd receive no kisses for a week.

[i would not survive for that long, i love you very much]

it's because they symbolise rebirth and optimism, due to how they return to the waterways after the rain, even if they dried up during the previous season.
it's because you are still positive, and have continued to live life; appreciating all of the smaller aspects which others don't take note of, because you have suffered tremendously. you were damaged, broken and alone. you are still crestfallen, yet attempt to look on the brighter side. you are still here, season after season, just like the water lilies - and i couldn't be more proud.

reminder ;
i adore you

he smiles as i hand him the letter i hurriedly scribbled after his three hundred and sixty fifth day of being free from smoking, and the ring he produces whilst knelt down is for my three hundred and sixty fifth day of being clean from self harm.