14. Let Me Be The One

"Vice, please, whatever you think he did to me. Just save him, okay?" pakiusap ni Karylle kay Vice bago ito pumasok sa O.R.

"Karylle, promise me something..." Vice said na halata pa ring nag aalala.

"What?" she asked and cupped his face, "Anything for you, love."

"Walang magbabago sa'tin ha?"

"I love you." Karylle assured him with a deep kiss before letting him go.

"My bit will be quick, but I'll have to stay and help Solenn with her surgery. Wag kang mag alala too much. Umuwi muna kayo ni Bailey."

Karylle nodded and hugged him before taking his advice. Vice watched her walk away and sighed when he saw Solenn urging him to come get scrubbed in already.

"So..." sabi ni Solenn while washing her hands, "What was the deal with your girlfriend then?"

"It's nothing... What's your plan then?"

"Ang boring mo naman Vice, what happened to sharing secrets around here?"

"It's nothing. Let's just get this over and done with." Vice said while washing his hands too.

"Fine." she rolled her eyes, "So you go in first and drain however much fluid is left in his heart, fix whatever bleed is happening... And then I'll go in and put plates in the ribs to try and stabilize it while it heals. I'll need you for that part, just in case the chest plays up again. Then, once that's done, we'll close up."

"Paano yung tibial fracture nya?"

"That can wait for another day, we'll just put a cast on it for now, para hindi maging swollen." pag e-explain ni Solenn.

"Okay." sabi ni Vice.

"Let's do it then."

"Let's make sure he lives."

"Well, of course.. But, why?"

"So I can break his bones myself." Vice smirked, leaving Solenn more curious.

--

"So Tito Vice is in surgery right now?"

"Yes anak, so let's go home. He'll be there a while."

"Wow, you guys really do work fast. One minute we were going for dinner, the next he's in surgery." natawa si Bailey.

Karylle unlocked the car and pumasok na si Bailey para mag drive na pauwi.

"What surgery is he doing now?"

"It's guy who crashed his car onto a parked truck. Lots of broken bones and ribs, and a weak heart." sabi ni Karylle at nginitian si Bailey ng makita nya itong pinoprocess yung sinabi nya.

"That sounds serious mom. Will he live?"

"I don't know... But he should."

"Huh?"

"He's not that old, I'm sure he needs to do a lot more with his life. Maybe deal with some unfinished business. He definitely shouldn't die yet, anyway." sabi ni Karylle at pinat ang ulo ni Bailey.

"That's pretty deep, mother. Wow." sabi ni Bailey tinawanan ang mommy nya.

"Whatever kiddo."

--

Vice stumbled his way towards Karylle's bedroom around 3 in the morning. He didn't want to wake her, so he used his phone's flashlight as his light to guide him to the bed.

"Vice?" Karylle sat up and turned the lights on.

"Oh, you're awake." pabulong na sabi ni Vice at umupo sa kama bago nagsimulang i-unbutton yung shirt nya.