i

Eve

My head rested on the palm of my hand which was rested on the top of the glass coffee table. A quick kick to my shin caused my eyes to open slowly, the blurry light of the TV was the first thing I saw and for a brief moment I wondered where I was.

The first thing that kicked in though was the pain in my leg and I looked up to see Sarah staring at me with slightly angered eyes. "How can you fall asleep when I'm explaining something to you?"

I looked around me, I was surrounded by pages and pages of bridal gowns and bouquets. Sarah and I had been planning her wedding and me, being the maid of honour, meant that I had to sit with her whilst she looked between bridesmaid dresses indecisively.

"We were talking about your wedding." I argued, "And I wasn't sleeping. I was just resting my eyes."

Sarah rolled her eyes, flicking through another page of her pictures and how much they costed. "So, I was thinking the bridesmaids could wear blue..."

"What time is it?" I asked tiredly, rubbing my eyes with the back of my hand.

"Quarter to nine." Sarah answered, "But, what do you think of blue?"

"What kind of blue?" I questioned, bending down to rub my shin which now was starting to throb.

"Royal blue." Sarah said, noting my look of disgust before she tried to back up her previous comment "It's classy!"

"I look fat in bl– Ow!" my sentence was cut off by Sarah giving me another harsh kick to the shin.

"Sorry." she apologised, "What about white then?"

"You're wearing white." I said, "Aren't you?"

"Yeah... but that shouldn't stop you from wearing white. I mean bridesmaids can wear any colour." Sarah argued, throwing her notes aside as she grabbed a fistful of her light brow hair in her hands.

"What about pink?" I suggested, giving her a tired sympathetic smile "It is your favourite colour, babe."

Sarah lifted her head up then, giving me a wide smile "This is why you're my best friend. Pink is great idea!" she frowned then, "Why didn't I think of that?"

I shrugged, "Where's Cal tonight?"

"Out with the boys. They went out for food, I think." Sarah answered, tucking her hair behind her ear. I nodded, looking up at the clock before looking back at Sarah.

"Did he go out earlier? I didn't see him on my way out." I stated, running my fingers through my hair.

"Yeah, he filmed with Tobi and Josh today." Sarah said, "He text me to tell me was going out for drinks and would be back for ten."

I smiled, Cal had always been good like that. He told her what he was doing and let her know when he'd be home. They were always like that with each other and it was something I was envious of.

"I need to tell you something." Sarah announced, letting out a huff of air as she looked up at the clock. I met eyes with her then, blinking a couple of times as I tried to see if I could guess what she was about to say. I was usually good at that, being the psychic best friend I was.

"You're not are you?" I asked, trying to narrow down my options.

"Not what?" Sarah responded, raising one of her brows before she finally got what I was asking and let out a loud laugh, "No! Of course not."

I placed my hand on my chest, letting our a sigh of relief "Thank the Lord, I was not ready to look after a baby whilst you went on your honeymoon."

"It's not as drastic as that, not for me anyway. It may be for you." Sarah said, chewing the inside of her cheek. I cocked my head to the side, puzzled to what could be so drastic.

"What is it then?"

"You know how you're my maid of honour?"

"Yeah..." I raised a brow, watching her take a hesitant breath as I awaited the big reveal.

"And you know how Cal's best man is Simon?" Sarah continued, scratching the side of her face nervously.

"Yes." I seethed, gritting my teeth as my thoughts turned to Simon.

Simon Minter and I had never seen eye to eye, he was just as equally sarcastic as I was and he was usually insulting and rude towards whenever we spoke. He always ruined everything I tried to do like he held some personal vendetta against me and when I first met him, he made no effort to even try to be friends with me. I had shrugged it off as him being shy or socially awkward, but the more I saw him, the more I realised he was neither of those things and was just a dick.

"What about him?" I asked. Sarah sighed, her shoulders slacking as she looked from her notes to me as she desperately tried to think of something to say to me.

"You have to be his wedding date."

"You can't be serious."

AUTHORS NOTE:

i thought i'd give you the first chapter early seeing as i don't really have anything to do today
remember to vote and comment!

thank you for reading

- nell
30/05/17