vi

– Eve

Sunshine warmed my skin as I unscrewed the lid to my iced tea and taking a sip, I let out a soft sigh as the peach flavor washed over my tongue. The sun streamed in through an open window, the slight breeze lifting up the curtain and pushing my hair over my shoulders. Sarah was busy talking to one of the workers in the bridal shop, organizing a fitting for all of us bridesmaids and the groomsmen. A door slamming made me jump, jolting me forward which caused me to spill my iced tea over my jeans and down the front of the cream sofa and the cream carpet.

"Shit." I mumbled, placing the bottle on the coffee table in front of me and placing the lid on top of it. I pulled out some tissues and I desperately tried to rub away the brown stain on the front of the sofa and the carpet, tossing the tissues onto the table, I grabbed a few more and continued to rub at the carpet. It was then as I reached up for another tissue, I knocked over the iced tea bottle and its contents spilled over the glass before I picked it up and firmly screwed on the lid. I placed multiple tissues on top of spillage, groaning loudly as I picked up the other tissues and pushed them to the corner of the table.

"So, would you like to come dress your bridesmaids now, Miss Close?" the worker asked, coming down some carpeted stairs towards me. I bit my lip, pushing away the wet tissues and gathering them all up in my hands as I met the workers horrified eyes.

"Do you have a bin?" I asked, my voice was a little quiet due to my sudden awkward episode. The worker walked over the table, looking down at the carpet before back up at me. She pointed to the corner of the front room, behind the counter. As I carried them over to the bin, I got Sarah's amused eyes as the both of us watched the lady stress as she pushed my bottle into the center of the table. The door dinged then and Sarah's bridesmaids and her Mum all walked in, holding coffees and the worker's eyes widened with horror yet again at the sight of drinks in her very white bridal shop.

"Mrs Close?" the shop assistant said, glancing from Sarah's Mum's coffee to her Mum. She nodded, giving me and the shop assistant a wide grin.

"And bridesmaids." she added, looking behind her at the small group of girls which included Katie, Harry's girlfriend, Freya, Josh's girlfriend and Emily, Ethan's girlfriend. I felt out of place when I was around these three and Sarah, not because we didn't have anything in common because we did but because I was the only single one and I always felt that whenever they talked about boys it wasn't a subject I could join in on unless I was complaining about Simon.

The shop assistant nodded, waving her hand at the white sofa which she had just spotted the dark brown stain on. My eyes widened as hers did, I had obviously forgotten to clean up that bit before the shop assistant and Sarah had come back. Choking back a laugh as the shop assistant let out a tiny squeak of annoyance, I sat down on the clean sofa next to Sarah as we watched the dress fitter clear her throat and straighten her posture in front of us. It was like she going to burst into song rather than get all four of us into different dresses for Sarah and her Mum to pick from.

"Okay, so, could the four bridesmaids come through and we'll try on a selection of pink dresses." the assistant said, giving Sarah a sickly sweet smile. All four of us stood, following the lady into the back room where the changing rooms were.

"Psst, Eve." Katie whispered, punching me in the back of the arm. I looked over my shoulder, raising my eyebrows as a gesture for her to continue "Did you spill something on the sofa?"

"Yeah, my iced tea." I said, biting back a grin but letting out a small bit of laughter. Katie snorted with laughter, her hand flying to her mouth as she unattractively let out another snort of laughter.

"Did you see her face? She looked like she was about to go psycho on all of us." Katie chuckled, grabbing onto my arm for support as she yet again burst into another fit of giggles.

—»—

I sighed as I looked at myself in the mirror of the changing room, my dress was long and a dusty pink colour. It was sleeveless and had a deep v-neck cut that was decorate with small bits of lace, there was also a slit up the side of the dress which caused the dress to flow outwards. The heels that the shop assistant had thrust at me ached on my feet, she had seemed disgusted at my black converse and the thought that they would be mixed with her dress.

"Eve, are you ready?" the shop assistant asked and I let out a sigh, unlocking the door and walking out into the little carpeted foyer to show Sarah, Emily, Katie and Freya the last dress choice. Sarah's eyes widened, a bright smile coming onto her lips as she looked over me. Her Mum whispered something in her ear, to which Sarah nodded and she proceeded to whisper it to Katie before her, Emily and Freya exchanged in a game of Chinese Whispers.

"What? Is something wrong with it?" I asked, looking down at the dress as I pulled out the sides slightly and looking down at my toes that were sticking out the bottom of my shoes.

"No, you just look beautiful." Sarah said to which I looked up, raising my eyebrows as I quickly questioned whether she was being serious or not but that look on her face determined that she was. My chest swelled with my sudden boost of confidence and I gave Sarah a small smile.

"That's the dress." Sarah's Mum said, nudging Sarah softly. Sarah nodded, giving me a toothy grin before sticking out her tongue at me. Freya, Katie and Emily all nodded in agreement as they all in turn looked over me. I felt beautiful, and to be told that I looked it to made my heart do a little leap of joy and a huge grin to tug on my lips.

AUTHOR'S NOTE

i am literally so sorry this chapter is so shitty

hope you're all okay!
remember to vote and comment!

nell
22/06/17