xxiv

- Eve

The car had been silent for almost five minutes, the only sound that could be heard was the hum of the car engine and the occasional car going past next to us. Other than that, Simon and I didn't speak. I rested my head on my hand, leaning against the car window as I desperately tried to keep my eyes open.

Simon cleared his throat as the car came to a stop at a red light, the light reflected off the few water droplets that decorated his windscreen and lit up the white of his jumper. I looked up at him, blinking a few times as I tried to get my eyes to focus a little more on him. He looked over at me then, raising a brow when he caught me staring.

"What?" he asked, his grip tightening on the wheel of his car as he took a quick glance at the traffic light before his eyes met mine again. I shrugged, looking away from him and back at the road in front of us. The roads were almost empty, there were a few taxis or the odd car but other than that, London looked like a ghost town.

"Do you have a key to get in?" Simon asked and I nodded, diving my hand into my bag to pull out my car keys and jingle them in front of his face. He slowly nodded, pressing his foot into the accelerator so the car would move forward as the light turned green.

The two of us fell silent again and this time, I closed my eyes and rested my head against the head rest. I was tired, my eyelids were heavy and I just wanted to curl up in my bed and go to sleep. I rested my head against my arm then, burying my face in the crook of my arm and allowing my muscles to relax as I tried to drift off to sleep.

I felt a hand on my shoulder and I stirred, my drifting off was interrupted by Simon lightly shaking my shoulder. I glanced up, he had pulled his keys out of the ignition and he was sat in the drivers seat staring at me. I looked down at his hand and then back up at him before looking out the window to see my block of flats staring back down at me.

"How long was I asleep for?" I asked, reaching down to undo my seatbelt as I still stared upwards towards the sky.

"Five minutes." Simon responded, "I don't think you were really asleep though."

"I was too!" I said, grabbing my bag off the floor before looking over my shoulder at him "And were you watching me sleep? You creep."

"Eve, shut up. I'm not having you pass out in my car." Simon said, his voice was quiet compared to mine and I briefly wondered if I was shouting. I opened the car door and got out, pulling down my skirt but wobbling slightly. Simon had gotten out the other side, had made his way round to me and was reaching over to shut my car door.

"What are you getting out for?" I asked, looking up at him. He raised a brow, locking his car before shoving the keys into his pocket.

"I'm going to help you," he spoke lowly, "You know so you don't fall over on the way into your flat or something."

I nodded, pulling my bag up and over my arm as I took a step onto the pavement. The two of us walked in silence up the steps and I pulled open the door to the block of flats and made my way towards the escalator. I pressed the button, relaxing slightly which only caused my legs to wobble slightly and Simon looked down at me with an amused grin.

"Even though I don't want you fall, it would be quite funny." he admitted, looking down at me as the two of us stepped into the elevator. I rolled my eyes, glaring up at him.

"Don't be a dick." I said, even in my own ears I could tell I was slurring my words slightly even though I didn't feel particularly drunk anymore, I knew my body was telling everyone else otherwise. The way I was walking from the club to Simon's car, from Simon's car to my flat looked like Bambi on ice.

I pressed the button for the fourth floor, watching the doors slide shut and the elevator whirred into action. I rubbed my eyes tiredly, I had passed caring if my eye makeup was smudged because I was just going to wash it all off anyway. Simon was looking up at the lights at the top of the elevator, his hands shoved into the pockets of his sweatpants as he waited for the elevator to reach my floor. There was silence between us, there was no cheesy elevator music or any sound except our breathing.

The elevator doors dinged open, sliding open and I walked towards my flat which was in sight. I fished my keys out of my bag, fumbling slightly with the lock as I tried to slot it into the lock itself. A small gasp left my lips as I felt a presence behind me, I looked up to see Simon standing close behind me and he took the key from my fingers and unlocked the door for me and pushed it open. Hurrying inside, I kicked off my shoes and dropped my bag to the floor. I shivered slightly, the cool air of my flat hit my bare legs and caused my skin to erupt into goosebumps.

I looked behind me, catching Simon staring at me from the doorway "You good now, Eve?"

I nodded, biting back a smile "Thank you for taking me home."

"I didn't want to leave you there." Simon said, "All cold and stranded. I may not always be very nice to you, Eve, but even I wouldn't leave you on a bench in the middle of the night."

"Well..." I hesitated slightly, for some reason I didn't really know what to say so instead I just looked down at the floor. I sighed, tucking my hair behind my ear "I guess this is where I say goodnight and you go back to your editing."

"I'm actually going back to sleep." Simon said, "I need to get at least one early night this week because going to bed at three in the morning is not healthy. So," he looked at the time on his phone then "It is nearly half-one in the morning but that's earlier than usual."

"Please sleep more." I said, looking back up at him "Like, honestly, sleep more."

"Thanks, Eve, I guess..." Simon said, his voice sounded a little awkward at the suddenness of my request. But I was being truthful, sleeping was important and I didn't want him to be suffering from a bad sleeping pattern because of constant late nights.

"Goodnight Simon." I whispered, running my fingers through my hair as I took a step backwards towards my living room.

"Goodnight Eve."

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

guess who's sick? me!!!!

but here, have a bad chapter with a quality gif of simon because either of them is bound to make someone's day.

remember to vote and comment!

nell
20/09/17