Chapter 3

The goddess Mayari is enticed by those who swelled with love and affection. For Goyong, the intertwining of his devoted love for the country and admiration for the girl prompted the goddess to appear.

The goddess has always been fond of things that have something to do with the heart's desire. In contrast with her contemporaries, she delighted in meddling with the affairs of men.

The creature gave a wry smile "Do not be afraid, Gatmaitan" it said to Goyong, its voice gentle and hypnotic. "I heard your passionate speech and looked into your innermost desires. I am impressed by your untainted and unwavering desire for the liberation of your people."

Goyong did not know what came over him, but he quickly got down and kneeled before the creature, his head bowed.

"Stand up, Gatmaitan" it ordered. Goyong slowly got up. His forehead was doused with sweat; his fists were clenched while his knees wavered. As he looked at the goddess' eye, he felt his insides turn to mush.

The goddess spoke, "The blood of Gatmaitan, the ancient chieftain of this land, runs through your veins. I saw in you the same unwavering devotion that your ancestors had, and for that, I give you this,"

Goyong suddenly felt something inside his fist. As he slowly opened it, he saw a golden locket, its face covered with intricate designs. The locket glittered under the moon.

"This would protect you from your enemies. But," the goddess pasued, "do you know who your enemy is?"

"The Spaniards, Ma'am" Goyong croaked

"Are you sure?" the goddess asked, her voice somewhat filled with disappointment. Goyong nodded.

The goddess remained silent before speaking. "You are destined to do great things. Your unwavering loyalty is commendable but a warning I bear: blind loyalty would lead to your misfortune."

Goyong's heart pounded over the ominous message. He had suddenly remembered the words of the woman from the kubo.

"Keep that locket with you at all times. But remember, that locket cannot prevent death" the goddess said.

"I wish you good luck for your endeavors. Keep a watchful eye and try to see who the real enemy is," the goddess stressed the last part. "For now, I bid you farewell. If you ever need something, just look at the moon."

Then the goddess vanished.