Chapter 12

Shots rang through the air. Smoke billowed from below. The ear shattering sounds of canons rippled. Dust, blood, and sweat intertwined once again. The Americans had come.

The fighting first started below, the shouts of men and rifle shots unmistakable. Goyong could see the scene below from the peak. His heart thundered loudly in his chest. One of the soldiers below had started to signal that the enemies were almost on them. 

Goyong and his men sprang into action. They were waiting for the enemies to show but the cogon patches merely swayed. Goyong suspiciously looked at the patch of plants and stiffened.... for there was no breeze. The enemies were behind it.

Goyong was about to warn his men but in a split second, his eyes wandered to a pair of brown ones. The girl had appeared. And behind her, the goddess Mayari stood, her eyes full of sorrow. The brown-eyed girl had a small smile but she had tears in her eyes. Her eyes too were full of sorrow. As her smile slowly ebbed away and a tear fell across her cheeks, a gun went off, and a bullet grazed his chest.

Pain immediately eminated within him. Goyong clutched his chest, the brown-eyed girl slowly vanishing. His breathing slowed as he fell on the ground, his eyes towards the sky.

He thought of the brown-eyed girl and his promise that he intends to keep. And lastly, he thought of his nation, and hoped that his blood would not have been spilled in vain. He did not regret dying for his country. He only hoped that his beloved country and countrymen would be welcomed by freedom.

These were Goyong's last thoughts before his final breath.

The young brilliant general from Bulacan had been killed.