Chapter 6

Days after being declared as Dictator of Bulacan and Nueva Ecija, Goyong quickly made for Bulacan, particularly to the sitio of Kay Luntaw. Some people already knew of his arrival and they welcomed him in the dead of the night. The province had already been preparing for hostilities. His brother Julian had recruited and organized the men while Goyong provided 500 amber rifles. They talked of strategy that same night.

As he was preparing to sleep and was brushing his coat, the bulge of the locket brushed his fingers. He took it out and stroked it gingerly with his fingers. He clutched it to his heart and gazed at the window. The moon peaked through the dark clouds and Goyong once again asked for the safety of his men and of his. That night, Goyong had an unusual dream but by the time he woke up, all he recalled from it was a pair of brown eyes.

The siege began on the first of the month. The revolutionaries clashed with the Spanish troops, their hearts swelling with anger and fought with such ferocity. Goyong led the men and fought side-by-side with them. He had never wavered in uplifting their spirits. And every night, he never failed to look up at the moon with his hands over the pocket from which the locket rested. The siege had lasted for twenty-three days, the ferocity of the Filipinos never ceased. On the 23rd day, the Spanish forces negotiated the terms of surrender. That night, Goyong's heart throbbed with delight for he felt that he was but a few inches closer to the liberation of his beloved motherland. The next day, the town was filled with enthusiasm, flags were displayed all over the town, banderitas were set up, and the atmosphere was filled with ecstasy. At the plaza, the revolutionary troops stood in a formation, face to face with the Spanish troops. The Spanish flag was taken down and the Filipino flag was hoisted in its place. The flag of the Spanish troops was surrendered to Goyong, and the rest of the town rejoiced. His victory resulted to his promotion as Brigadier General.

Goyong roamed around the town, shook hands with people who uttered numerous thanks to him. At the local market, he was talking to a butcher when a square silk handkerchief got swept by the breeze and got caught up in his shoe. 

He bent and took the handkerchief, and looked around for its owner. A few women were passing by, but his eyes focused on a woman across the butcher's shop, her back turned towards him, clutching a basket of fruits at her waist. Something about the figure drew him in. He bid his goodbye to the butcher and walked towards the figure. 

As he drew closer, he took a deep breath and said his greetings. As the figure turned towards his voice, Goyong held his breath. For the figure was no other than the girl from the kubo. The girl who had gazed at the moon with him. The girl with the deep brown eyes. She looked lovelier than when he last saw her, her eyes still twinkled and her lips still looked plump. 

But a long scar, a bit reddish and fresh, stretched from the side of her brow to her cheek, now marred her lovely face.