Chapter 9

As soon as Goyong arrived in Bulacan, he re-arranged his troops and prepared for the imminent threat that hounded them. His eyes would often dart at one soldier's face to another, possibly hoping to see the brown-eyed girl's face. But the wole province was in disarray, and he did not know where she might be.

Goyong engaged with the Americans for a month, defending his province and inspiring his men. However, despite the Bulacan Brigade's effort, various parts of the province fell successively and towns were immediately evacuated. Goyong had been deeply affected by the turnout, anxiety slowly nibbling on his veins. Each night, he refused to take out the locket and refused to look at the moon.

Hostilities between the two warring nations needed to be stopped. Therefore, the war was briefly halted as per Mabini's suggestion, so that the two nations can confer with each other. 

 A Commission was formed, but the first one failed due to Heneral Luna's opposition. Felipe Buencamino headed the first Commission. Heneral Luna accused him of favoring the Americans, and so it was disbanded. 

The Second Commission included Goyong who represented Aguinaldo. Among Aguinaldo's seasoned and high-ranking officials, he chose the young Goyong above the rest.

Goyong conferred with American military leaders. The Americans, in turn, esteemed Goyong. They greatly appreciated his gallantry and conduct. General Lawton, head of the American troops, even advised his men to let Goyong and his troops pass Manila unharmed and to receive them as guests. Despite this warm relationship between General Lawton and Goyong, the Commission failed to yield satisfactory results. Aguinaldo decided to summon Goyong back to the headquarters. 

Goyong, as the goddess has observed, possessed such fierce and unwavering loyalty. Goyong firmly stood by Aguinaldo's side and supported him since the moment they met at Biak-na-Bato. He served Aguinaldo wholeheartedly and failed to detect his flaws.

It was in the eve of Heneral Luna's assassination when Aguinaldo had summoned Goyong. They met at San Isidro with over three thousand soldiers. As soon as they met, Aguinaldo ordered Goyong to capture Heneral Luna who was accused of "high treason," dead or alive. Goyong, surprised by the orders of the Captain General, was about to ask the nature of such allegations. But Goyong held his tongue, for he reasoned to himself that Aguinaldo only wanted what was best for the country and that he wasn't capable of ordering baseless dark deeds. Goyong's mind started to fill with doubts but he pushed them aside. He immediately left the headquarters, intending to follow Aguinaldo's orders. 

The fact that Goyong felt compelled to follow the unusual order of Aguinaldo made the goddess Mayari look upon him with disappointment.

However, when Goyong reached Bamban, the news of Heneral Luna's death reached him. He had heard how the general was knifed and beaten to death by no other than the members of the Presidential Guard. Goyong's stomach churned uneasily and a sense of dread gripped him. It had been months since he last took out the locket, and now, he was afraid to do so. 

For try as he might to convince himself that it was righteous, he cannot shake the feeling that he did something wrong.