Chapter 5

Months after Goyong's sojourn at Kakaron (for after which he was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant), his name was already being whispered among conversations.

His famous interception at Mambog quickly became the talk of the town. Goyong had received word that a handful of Spanish troops with a priest were passing through the town of Bulacan on their way to Malolos. Goyong had volunteered to intercept them himself. Goyong's rifle shot echoed through the air. As Goyong's compatriots arrived at the scene, they only saw an empty carriage, with four bags heaping with coins. Among the loot, he also found a Mauser rifle. His compatriots had praised Goyong's singlehanded accomplishment.

But the most impressive demonstration of his skills was his attack on Paombong. Goyong had decided to go to Biak-na-Bato, which was the current headquarters of Aguinaldo at that time. Goyong presented himself before Aguinaldo and suggested his plan of attack in the town of Paombong, which was riddled with Spanish forces. Aguinaldo sensed the young man's fearlessness and was impressed by his stature, so he approved the proposed plan.

Goyong, along with his soldiers, quietly infiltrated the town of Paombong at night. A few of his men posed as travellers who needed a place for the night, while Goyong ordered the rest of his company to station themselves at the outskirts of a town nearby. That night, the full moon dominated the night sky. Goyong saw it as a good sign and asked Mayari for the safety of his soldiers and himself.

The next day – Sunday – as the church bells tolled calling the townspeople to mass, Goyong and his men dressed for the mass. Some of them are even disguised as women, their fans effectively covering their face while their large skirts hid their weapons. While some of them were inside the church, a shot rang. Quickly, the disguised revolutionaries began firing at the Spanish soldiers who were taken by surprise. Those posted at the outskirts of town quickly came to aid while the weaponless Spaniards scurried around defenselessly. The attack had lasted for only three minutes. They spent more time confiscating the Mauser rifles of the Spanish soldiers. The town of Paombong had been successfully seized by the Filipinos. Goyong felt proud and beamed with joy, the golden locket snug inside his breast pocket, his ancestors proud. That night, Goyong stared at the moon and uttered his sincerest gratitude to the goddess Mayari. A cool breeze answered his thanks.

The demonstration of his skills at Mambog and Paombong garnered the attention of Aguinaldo. He began to watch the young man more closely and later on promoted him to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel. Not only that, Goyong's brilliant and brave antics quickly became the talk of the town. Before he entered the intimate circle of officials at Biak-na-Bato, his name and his story was already known to them.

Aguinaldo quickly took note of Goyong's loyalty, and always had him by his side. When the treaty of Biak-na-Bato had been signed, Aguinaldo took the young lieutenant colonel with him to Hong Kong. Goyong enjoyed the confidence placed in him by Aguinaldo and his comrades. From being an unknown Bulaceño to a celebrated soldier, Goyong was indeed on the path of greatness.

Goyong never took the locket out in public and he never parted with it. Whenever everyone was fast asleep, he'd take the locket out and gaze at it from some time, pondering its power with wonder.

A lot of things have happened to Goyong after his sojourn at the quaint kubo. His youth, good looks, and status in the military had women swooning over him. He enjoyed the numerous affections showered on him. He would often pursue numerous ladies at the same time. These ladies made Goyong forget about the girl with the sparkling brown eyes and of his rejected promise.

After a few months in Saigon, Singapore, and Hongkong, Aguinaldo and the rest of the revolutionary leaders decided to return to the Philippines. As they arrived in Cavite, Aguinaldo declared himself the Dictator of the Philippines. Afterwards, he immediately inaugurated Goyong as the Dictator of Bulacan and Nueva Ecija. This move of Aguinaldo greatly revealed how much he trusted Goyong. Overwhelmed with joy, Goyong had forgotten to thank the goddess and failed to look up at the bright luster of the moon.