Chapter 8

Aside from the province of Bulacan, revolutionaries at Manila also prepared for the siege of the city. Manila soon surrendered, and the Philippines can therefore be described as liberated from the shackles of Spain after three years of being conquered.

Revolution from different parts of the archipelago triumphed. The capital of the revolutionary forces was soon transferred to Malolos, Bulacan, the area commanded by Goyong. A few days after the capital was moved, the first Philippine Congress immediately declared the Philippine Independence on the 29th of the same month. On that day, Goyong helmed the troops that took part in the grand military parade. Goyong would consider that day as one of the most glorious moment of his life.

That night, Goyong as per usual, clutched the locket, uttered his thanks, and went to sleep.

Alas, the difficulties did not stop there. Conflict brewed between the Filipino revolutionaries and the American troops, which posed itself as an ally of the Philippines. Tension mounted, and on February 4th, an American fired on a Filipino. War once again ensued.

The Filipino forces scrambled for re-organization. Goyong's brigade immediately set forth to Caloocan. They formed a line of defense with General Luna's troops. Goyong felt unease, anxiety, and distress interlaced with each other. He also felt furious, furious because his beloved nation can't seem to attain freedom once and for all. He partly felt hatred towards the Spaniards, for a small voice at the back of his mind tells him that all these troubles started with them. The troops at Caloocan suffered a great casualty, with one of Goyong's brother suffering an injury. Some of his compatriots were almost annihilated. This prompted Goyong to retreat along with his men. Feeling dejected with a heavy heart, he returned to Bulacan once again.

On their way to Bulacan, Goyong knew that his province would soon be attacked by the Americans. He was morosely thinking about his brothers who would definitely be joining in the hostilities when his mind rapidly wandered to the girl with the brown eyes. 

He felt his heart sink, for he knew that the girl would also be joining in on the hostilities wholeheartedly. His affection for the girl never faded. He tossed and turned in his sleep. 

One night, while everyone was fast asleep, Goyong got up and strayed away from his camp, and went to a secluded place outside. Goyong looked at the moon. It was hidden beneath the dark clouds and lacked its usual luster. Goyong clutched the locket to his heart , closed his eyes, and called on the goddess.

Goyong felt a cold breeze envelope him and when he opened his eyes, the one-eyed goddess Mayari stood a few inches from him. The goddess still looked the same when Goyong last saw her. Her lone eye still covered with the color white, and she still emitted a terrifying aura.

Goyong kneeled briefly and stood up. The unmistakable shaking of his knees still apparent like last time.

Goyong wanted to ask the goddess to appear before the brown-eyed girl and convince her to not join in on the hostilities.

"I know what you want to ask of me, Gatmaitan. Alas, I cannot" the goddess said in a grave tone.

Before Goyong was about to ask why, the goddess already answered for him. "I cannot influence her decisions. We gods can only provide assistance, but we cannot control a human's life. Her decisions are hers."

Goyong's heart thumped loudly in his chest. He cannot seem to speak in front of the goddess Mayari.

"I shall protect her as much as I can, for her thoughts are earnest and pure. But I must tell you Gatmaitan, I do not control the outcome of her actions" the goddess' tone was filled with sadness. "The locket would give you a sign" she added.

This made Goyong's heart race faster. 'A sign of what?' Goyong wondered anxiously. 

Before he had any time to ask, the goddess was already nowhere to be found.