Friends

(THYME POV)

'I thought you'd never come home.' Emma met me at the front door in her PJS. 'Mom wants to know why we have a full fridge of groceries.'

'Is she mad?' I felt the blood from my cheeks drain and suddenly the peaceful moments with Basil earlier faded into a distant echo. 'Tell her most of the items were about to expire and they were practically giving everything away.'

'Just' Emma closed her eyes and took a deep breath. She wasn't exactly a morning person. 'Hungry. Mom was hungry. She was thankful the fridge was full. I've never seen her eat for much rice in all her 31 years of existance.'

I looked at her for a moment before letting out a sigh of relief. I liked Basil but I wasn't about to let him meet my mom. He was dangerous -anyone could tell- and he was only being nice to me because of his soulmate thing he thought we had going on. Sure, it's a nice thought to have, but too far fetched for my liking.

'She didn't find the cookies, did she?' I suddenly remembered the shortbread cookies I'd thrown into the trolley when Basil wasn't looking.

'It was the first thing she went after.' Emma cast me an apologetic look.

'Dammit.'

-------------------------------------

(RPAINT/GYM)

'Not in your usual get up today?' Blake jogged beside me.

'Mmm, I'm not feeling it today.' I didn't really have a reason to hide anymore since Basil was now somewhat nicer to me. At least I think that's what he was aiming for. 'I don't want to sweat garlic into my pores.'

'Point.' Blake laughed and nodded.

'I don't understand how you guys can run for fun.' Amber groaned from the benches. 'I ran three rounds and I feel like my legs are about to die on me.'

'You don't seem as tired when you're babysitting Emma.' I skipped towards her and flopped down while Blake mumbled something about heading towards the showers.

'Emma's a kid and she plays indoors. It's not like she's asking me to run around in the noon sun.' Emma fanned herself dramatically. 'Ew, Thyme, don't wipe your sweat on me! Let's just get cleaned up. I can't take this anymore.'

-----------------------------------

Amber went ahead without me because she had to meet a 'secret admirer' who left her a note in her locker. Honestly, she was going to get herself into trouble very soon if she wasn't careful.

'As I was saying,' Blake interrupted my chain of thoughts. 'I'm gonna have to ditch you right now.'

'What?' I whipped around to face him. 'Why? Are you abandoning me for another secret meeting?'

'What? No!' He frowned and tilted his head adorably. 'It's getting pretty near my assignment deadline and I've been too focused on pulling you out of harm's way.'

I pouted and nodded. We both knew what he meant when he said 'harm's way'.

'Don't worry too much.' He pat me on the head and leaned down to engulf me in a bear hug. 'You already said he was nice to you that night. I don't think he'll be out to bite you again soon. Just try not kick him or something, okay?'

Giggling, I hugged him back nodded into his shoulder.

'Good girl.' With smile, Blake started down the corridoor, turning to wave one last time before disappearing around a corner.

I sighed, stuck my hands into the pockets of my coat and snuggled into it. Things weren't as bad as it was the week before. I was actually doing well in school and since it was my last semester, it meant I could finally go out to work. Maybe help out with the finances so that Emma didn't have to tranfer again.